Kz 750-p (GT) shaft- what to do

More
04 Nov 2011 09:53 #486959 by richw
Kz 750-p (GT) shaft- what to do was created by richw
Kz 750-p (GT) shaft- what to do

hey guys I have been working on my new old 84 bike- which is kind of a mess.
The loom is everywhere but I think I have most parts reconnected apart from the missing dash controls

what I don't have is
clutch lever
dash/gauges
front indicators/headlight
a fuel tank (off)

I have power running through the ignition system - regrec- ignitor-fuses (I think) and running to the coils.
I cant get the starter to turn over with power to the coils but may be doing it wrong

I have power to the ignition .
The rear brake light works when engine is on
I have power to the kill switch

what would you do first to get her running electrically and in what order? I'm learning as I go and need a list. I have a manual and am working through the tests but what first and what is most likely? I haven't checked resistance yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
04 Nov 2011 10:10 #486961 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Kz 750-p (GT) shaft- what to do
Circuit for your starter solenoid goes through the clutch lock out switch on the left handlebar control. You need to pull in the clutch lever, if doing that, then un-plug the connector and check for power there. you can By pass all of it, and just test the Solenoid real easy. There are two wires there on the solenoid, they require power and ground, doesn't matter which gets what as long as you have both power and ground. Simple Electromagnet switch, just High amperage at the battery cable posts.
Your battery test good, or have you replaced it? Don't jump start from another vehicle that's running, only one that's Off.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
07 Nov 2011 03:47 #487381 by richw
Replied by richw on topic Kz 750-p (GT) shaft- what to do
Thanks man- I don't have the connector for the clutch lockout (which I found just before you replied- the starter solenoid is right near the fuse box isnt it- sorry for the ignorance but I have a whole heap of missing and unconnected wires which makes it difficult even with the manual - if I reroute those two then that'll bypass the clutch lockout?
Also- since you know you're stuff- if I rewire the green red kickstand switch to a live circuit will that bypass the killswitch?
thanks again