Spark plug wire question

More
04 Nov 2011 01:27 #486935 by danno8852
Spark plug wire question was created by danno8852
I have a 1982 kz650 CSR. I am looking to replace the spark plug wires and am debating which type to get. I want to get the solid copper core ones but keep reading that any solid metal core wires interfere with electronic ignition (which the 1982 has). Is this true? Do I have to get the suppression carbon core type because of the electrical ignition? I am confused because when I removed the caps on the current wires, it looks like the cofre is a silver color metal wire. Thank you for any input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2011 01:57 #486937 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Spark plug wire question
The core may have a plating to resist corrosion. It's done on some sparkplug wires. I'd imagine using copper sparkplug wires on your bike will not cause any problems. I use the same type of wires on my 1982 GPz1100 with fuel injection with no problems....

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
06 Aug 2012 14:45 #541003 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic Spark plug wire question
Bumping

I replaced the wires on my last Honda- removed the resistor device in the coil, ran resistor plugs and 7mm quality wire. no problem.

My 81 KZ1100
Can I replace the plug wires with 7mm solid/copper hi perf wires?

Straight cut and install, or something else I need to do?

thanks

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio

More
06 Aug 2012 14:54 #541004 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Spark plug wire question
Should have no problem, but read this:

Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices

What came with the bike, were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in the stop and go traffic, and the coils will probably fail when hot.

Replacement coils can be bought at www.z1enterprises.com I believe “Emgo” is the brand. They also carry the popular Dyna 2.2 and 3 ohm coils, along with replacement sparkplug wires.

Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:

1.Copper plug wires with no supression caps (the best choice, but will produce audio noise Radio’s and TV’s). Not only do the copper core wires deliver better spark, they will also deliver a much longer lifespan - carbon core wires are prone to erratic spark delivery and early breakdown, & short lifespan.

2.Copper plug wires with supression caps(a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can sometimes fail, like what came with the bike).

3.Copper plug wires with no supression caps, but using resistor plugs(the “R” in the plug number, like B8RES).

4.Supression plug wires with no supression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs and supression caps or supression plug wires, as now there will be two (2) sources of resistance in the secondary windings of the ignition coils, greatly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar, primary(small wire)electrical connection, using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils do. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers come awfully close, possibly blowing a fuse. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with non conductive Nylon spacers, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.

7mm sparkplug wires will fit the stock ignition coils(if they have replaceable wires, indicated by screw off caps on the coils with ridges). The sparkplug wires fit into a port with a brass ”Stinger” that goes into the sparkplug wire or lead(the Brit’s. Canadians, and other countries call the sparkplug wires “High Tension Leads”).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Medina