left hand controls

More
21 Oct 2011 16:55 #484503 by abrambila
left hand controls was created by abrambila
Hey everyone, I just opened up my left hand controls to look at the horn button because my horn wasn't working and I broke off the orange wire from the turn signal switch. It looks like they were sautered into the little brass indents in the switch at the factory, but I'm not sure how I would go about reattaching this. Any ideas?

Thanks
1978 KZ650 D1

1978 KZ650 D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Oct 2011 18:05 #484522 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic left hand controls
60/40 Rosin Core Solder and a Decent Soldering Gun/ Iron. Get it nice and clean, cut back the wire 1/2", Tin both with Solder, then heat them both together in place.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
21 Oct 2011 18:13 #484525 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic left hand controls

Motor Head wrote: 60/40 Rosin Core Solder and a Decent Soldering Gun/ Iron. Get it nice and clean, cut back the wire 1/2", Tin both with Solder, then heat them both together in place.

He makes it sound so easy doesn't he? LOL! Seriously though, I just redid all the connections on my right hand switch not too long ago. It wasn't too bad if you've done a little soldering before, you should be ok.

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
21 Oct 2011 19:42 #484545 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic left hand controls
Rosin flux(the paste type)works the best for me when soldering. Also get an acid brush and some 91% rubbing alcohol to clean the soldered joint(s). Use it to flush away any rosin residue as it's a non conductor.

A couple(2)of toothpicks to apply the rosin flux, a damp sponge to wipe the soldering irons tip occasionally, and rosin core solder is about all you'll need for this repair.

If the soldering iron is new, it probably needs "Tinning", to do so. follow these steps:

1.Have on hand either a damp, clean sponge or rag.

2.Plug in the soldering iron and let it get hot(maybe 2-3 minutes).

3.Unroll a few inches of the solder and then using a paper towel damp with rubbing alcohol, wipe away the fingerprint oils you left when handling the solder.

4.Apply a small amount of solder to the tip of the now hot soldering iron.

5.Using the damp sponge or rag, wipe away the excess solder, leaving a thin amount.

6.The iron is now "Tinned" and ready for use.

7.Periodically wipe the soldering iron tip & apply solder to keep the working surface in good shape, keeping in mind to not have too much solder on the tip.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
21 Oct 2011 19:53 #484548 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic left hand controls
MFolks you always give a good write up i like your style Thanks

MFolks wrote: Rosin flux(the paste type)works the best for me when soldering. Also get an acid brush and some 91% rubbing alcohol to clean the soldered joint(s). Use it to flush away any rosin residue as it's a non conductor.

A couple(2)of toothpicks to apply the rosin flux, a damp sponge to wipe the soldering irons tip occasionally, and rosin core solder is about all you'll need for this repair.

If the soldering iron is new, it probably needs "Tinning", to do so. follow these steps:

1.Have on hand either a damp, clean sponge or rag.

2.Plug in the soldering iron and let it get hot(maybe 2-3 minutes).

3.Unroll a few inches of the solder and then using a paper towel damp with rubbing alcohol, wipe away the fingerprint oils you left when handling the solder.

4.Apply a small amount of solder to the tip of the now hot soldering iron.

5.Using the damp sponge or rag, wipe away the excess solder, leaving a thin amount.

6.The iron is now "Tinned" and ready for use.

7.Periodically wipe the soldering iron tip & apply solder to keep the working surface in good shape, keeping in mind to not have too much solder on the tip.

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
22 Oct 2011 00:11 #484594 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic left hand controls
Yep, I used to build missile test equipment for two programs(BG-109 Tomahawk & AGM-129 Advanced Cruse Missile) when I worked for General Dynamics/Convair Division in San Diego Ca from 1983-1993. Mil-Spec soldering was the expected standard, and the soldering school ran a week there.

I got real good at cable fabrication and constructing & wiring test equipment. Cables under 30 feet were laid up by hand, longer ones were done at the cable shop with a celophane wrap and then brought to our shop for insulation.

We used heatshrinkable neoprene resembling a fire hose except it was black in color, the procedure was to stretch out the tubing, blow air through it for inflation as it was flat on the reels,tie some string to a rag or paper towels & then blow it through the tubing.

Once the string and rag/paper towel went through the hose, a small rope was tied to the string and secured to the cable. The lubrication medium was talcum powder, blown through the tubing with several people helping feed the wire bundle into the tubing while the air kept the tubing inflated and more people pulled on the other end.

After the cable was in the tubing, it was taken to another section where the tubing was shrunk.
The machine resembled a horizontal ladder as the cable to be shrunk was arranged on the rungs and the heaters moved on a track back and forth above the cable.

If you were doing a 40 to 50 foot cable, you shrunk sections at a time until you came to break out areas and these were done on the bench using large heat guns.

The connectors may have solder cups or crimped on male or female pins, it all depended on how the engineers wanted the cable configured.

Heatshrink "boots" were used to protect the many and various electrical connectors after they were assembled,tested & passed inspection.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)