Blown fuse

More
26 Sep 2011 00:59 #479580 by sitenonme
Blown fuse was created by sitenonme
I hooked up my 1978 kz650 to the battery charger just like normal after I did my top end rebuild... Before I hooked it up the battery was almost dead do that's when I hooked it up and everything was normal but the electric starter wasn't working but the switch was flipped ON... Then the lights went off and nothing so I checked the fuse and it was blown so I put another one in tried it all again and the fuse again blew... What could cause a fuse to blow? If it helps it is the fuse connected to the white wire... Thanks for any advice u have

-greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2011 09:11 #479622 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Blown fuse
What blowing the fuse is you trying to blow up your bike's electrical system. As has been stated many times on this forum DO NOT hook the battery to a charger or a vehicle with its engine running while the battery is in the bike. If it's only a fuse you are very lucky. Take the battery out of the bike; charge it at 1 amp, if the battery hasn't already been blown by hooking it to a high amp charger let it charge for several hours then test it. When fully charged, put it back in the bike and go for a ride. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
26 Sep 2011 09:34 #479629 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Blown fuse
That Fuse to the White wire, 20amp? Should be the Main Fuse for the bike, feeding battery voltage up to the Ignition Switch. If blowing with the switch off, then you got a short before the switch. Or the battery is reversed polarity. Don't ever put in a heavier fuse than rated, unless you want a new harness.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...