kz650 electrical guru advice needed.

More
24 Sep 2011 16:06 - 24 Sep 2011 16:23 #479212 by Onetype
kz650 electrical guru advice needed. was created by Onetype
First off, I know the wiring harness is a mess. I'm not the first person to get into this harness, and I believe that might be one of the reasons I am having issues.

1979 KZ650E

Issues i'm having:
Rectifier/regulator

Attachment IMAG0328.jpg not found

Black wire coming out of regulator - someone crimped a black/yellow wire which ties into the rats nest of yellow/black grounds throughout this bike. I have to disconnect this, or it will arch, and melt the wire. I'm getting a sold 12v out of the black wire coming directly off the regulator. If this is a ground, this leads me to believe it is bad. It shouldn't be pulling volts, and it should not be arching when I hook it up to the yellow/black ground nest. My first check obviously was to see if any of these ground wires are touching a hot wire, and nope.

Next:

Attachment IMAG0327.jpg not found

In my book, it shows this being a low fuel warning relay, but according to this:
it is a warning light self checker. when it is plugged in, I have no power to my ignition switch, and my white power wire/fuse to the ignition switch will blow as soon as I turn the key on. I'm guessing this is the self checker, which from what I read is not needed. Either way, i'm pretty sure mine is bad.

Solution - remove power wire to starter solenoid. Or, disconnect the relay and plug back in the power wire to starter solenoid. I can not have both connected at the same time.

Attachment IMAG0329.jpg not found

I know it still looks like a rats nest, but everything is hooked up correctly, nothing grounding out etc... I just haven't cleaned it up, and loomed it yet due to these issues.

Still running through everything with my volt meter, thought someone might have some insight though.
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Sep 2011 16:23 by Onetype.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2011 17:52 #479233 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic kz650 electrical guru advice needed.
I'd say contact the salvage yards and try to find a good used harness, otherwise if possible make up a new harness. If needed, I have websites for the many and various electrical connectors.

Motorcycle Salvage Companies
www.cycle-salvage.com
www.motorcycle-recycle-center.com/
www.newrivercyclesalvage.com/index.html
www.bornagainbikes.net/
www.motolane.com/

www.z1enterprises.com and www.redlinecycle.com might have some idea if a replacement harness is available.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
24 Sep 2011 19:06 #479245 by Onetype
Replied by Onetype on topic kz650 electrical guru advice needed.
The harness is good, I had the bike running the other night for a few minutes.

Worked on it all day yesterday and last night I must have hooked up the leads wrong, because they were backwards when I woke up.

-Regulator could be fried, although when I started it the other night I was still having the same issue with the black ground wire arching.
-Starter relay is fried, but I just got a new one from Sears.
-Self checker is fried (everything wires up fine with the exception of the black regulator wire when disconnected)

I'm running neutral indicator, and oil pressure only, so i'm not really worried about the self checker.

Mainly curious as to:
Should the black wire coming out of the regulator be getting a constant 12v?
What would cause the arching to the ground wires when they aren't touching hot, and everything is hooked up?

Which leads me back to a burnt out regulator due to the lead swap.

Man was I pissed at myself this morning....

More
24 Sep 2011 19:35 #479249 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic kz650 electrical guru advice needed.
The rectifier/regulator should only be producing voltage if the engine is running, otherwise, an internal short may have affected the diodes. Unfortunately, they are potted(sealed up) and even if you could remove the sealing compound, would the diodes be available?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
24 Sep 2011 19:44 #479254 by Onetype
Interesting,

I put new fuses in it (has been blowing fuses all day while I was shooting wires), checked a few connections and it started right up.

However, the black wire coming off the rectifier is still disconnected, so I think it is not charging at the moment. I will find out in a few minutes once I disconnect the battery while it's running (it should continue to run if the charging system is working).

Aside from that, I think I will start routing and looming everything up.

And probably have to order a new rectifier this week.

• pain333
  • Visitor
26 Sep 2011 19:11 #479755 by pain333
Replied by pain333 on topic kz650 electrical guru advice needed.
I HAVE A 77 KZ650 ...JUST GOT A NEW RECTIFIER FROM OREGON CYCLE PARTS......HE BUILDS RECTIFIERS ...4 WIRE AND 5 WIRE ONES ...I GOT MINE FOR 51.00

More
28 Sep 2011 15:04 #480226 by Onetype
Thanks Pain. I'm going to have to order one.

Just blew a relay in my '31 Model A the other day so i'm messing with it right now while i'm waiting on bike parts.