wiring harness woes

• Chaotic Reason
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2011 00:58 #478504 by Chaotic Reason
wiring harness woes was created by Chaotic Reason
I had planned on doing the wiring on my 1980 KZ1000 ST from scratch. Getting all the wires and running them all and so on. Seems doable I think. Get a ton of wiring, with the same color patterns, loads of connectors to solder and crimp on, and follow the diagram right? Well, then I started to price wire spools... And connectors... And then I actually looked at the wiring diagram....
So, plan "B" was to try to find a wiring harness on E-bay. Not so lucky for the E-2's. There's a bunch for other bikes, but not for the ST's. And any parts site that I've gone to has faired likewise. I can find them for other models, but not for my ST.

So, I'm back to plan "A", but where would be the best place to find this type of wire? Do I just go into NAPA and say, "I need 20' of 14 gauge wire in each of the following colors. Red with a blue stripe, brown with a yellow stripe..." and so on?
Or is there a place that actually sells it online REASONABLY priced? And is it 14 gauge wire for the main harness wires?

A couple people have given me diagrams on ways to wire it, eliminating various things in the electrical system, but I think I'm actually going to keep that system pretty stock. I haven't even thought about updating my coils, or ignition system yet, but thought that having a new harness wouldn't be a bad idea.

Having very limited funds, I'm trying to price everything out and come up with a game plan on when to buy what parts as the re-assembly approaches.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2011 01:09 #478505 by rich67
Replied by rich67 on topic wiring harness woes
I to am going to be wiring my project sometime this winter . Here's some info I found on the the web. If you just keep it simple shouldn't be a problem . cycles.evanfell.com/2010/03/simple-motor...ers-and-cafe-racers/

More
22 Sep 2011 01:11 #478506 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic wiring harness woes
Checked with www.redlinecycle.com ? They have new wire harnesses available & www.z1enterprises.com has contacts in Japan that might be able to make one for you.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Chaotic Reason
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2011 01:46 #478514 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic wiring harness woes
@rich67- I was going to try to keep it stockish, blinkers, gauges and all that, which is leading me to try to source all the different types of wire. I've always blacked out the bikes I've ridden in the past, so I thought keeping the lights on it would be a good idea considering all the riding I do, especially at night. ;)

@MFolks- I haven't called up Z1. I have looked on their site and have yet to see anything for the STs. I can find them for the A series, but since they only made the E series for 2 years, it's a bit like a needle in a haystack. And redline says on their harness page, "There are still no new repro harnesses made for most 1979 and 1980 1000 models......"
Kawasaki had so much fun designing different versions, they passed all the joy on to us 30 years later as we try to source parts! Wasn't that so thoughtful of them? :laugh:
I will try to give Z1 a call though, they've found every other thing I've needed. Thanks for the heads up.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
22 Sep 2011 02:30 #478519 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic wiring harness woes
If you do end up doing it yourself, and you don't feel comfortable doing it from scratch, try replacing one section/harness at a time. This will also make troubleshooting easier if anything doesn't work right after replacing, then you know where to look. I'm a little more daring and will be rewiring my bike completely with custom harnesses to minimize the "rats nest" of wires. I'm actually using microsoft paint to draw up a full color wiring diagram before I start...the more I add to it, the better an idea it seems! LOL

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...