• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
19 Sep 2011 11:53 #477860 by ed spangler
Trip Meter was created by ed spangler
Greetings
Headlite resolved! Thanks Patton! Your suggesstion actually pointed me in the right direction!!
Now...looking to correct problem with Tripmeter ,Speedomter works good,Total mileage digits works good
but when I zero out my "trip meter"....There are 4 "Places" on it if you will, tenths, up thru hundreds on the trip meter, problem lies with the 3rd and 4th place digits( from right side of trip meter)
Tenths and 0-9 seems to turn,stop, work OK, the other 2 seems to "Catch" or start moving prematurely, soon as the 0-9 registers one mile the what would be the next digit to left, digit showing "10"-19 moves to a half way point between 1-2, then when the trip meter has approximately 70 miles on it all of a sudden the digit that would represent hundreds of miles moves also. to a point halfway between 1 and 2..weird, bike had sat before being restored
( Xcept gauges ) for 15 years , so am thinking just needs some kind of internal lubricant.
Heres the bottom line, do NOT have the money to send gauges to be refurbished, I I did would just do that, am interested in what I can do to perhaps "Lubricate" this without tearing gauges apart.
Could I use some type of dry Graphite and insert it into where the cable goes in the back of gauge?
Am thinking WD-40 could damage the gauge? Or cause problems inside the gauge glass.
THANKS for any "Low Cost" non invasive/ solution / suggestions
ED
S

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2011 15:36 #477900 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Trip Meter
Ed. The cable drive portion of your' speedo is seperate from the trip meter & odo cyls... Which cannot be reached w/out opening bodies..so lube there won't help..( Graphite probly wouldn't hurt, but refain from arisols, as they usually wind up fogging the glass. I agree w/your surmise that prob is w/ old/sticky/contaminated bits, if you have access to a teen-ager with an obnoxious stereo, see if you can set the meter attop their speaker for a couple days...not ulrasonic cleaning by any means, but shouldn't do any harm & vibrations just might help...G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.