bike wont start.... any ideas?

• ninjaracerchick
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Sep 2011 18:02 #477688 by ninjaracerchick
bike wont start.... any ideas? was created by ninjaracerchick
well ive got my project bike all back together. the first time i got ready to start her i found a gas leak. pulled the carbs back off and found a few problems which are now remedied. got them back on filled her back up and went to start her for the first time and nothing.... im about to go out and start really disassembling it enough to try certain things but first let me tell you whats going on.... carbs are getting fuel. turn the ignition on and the lights for the speedo work tail lights work blah blah. go to push the start button and nothing so then we proceeded to try and hot wire it from the starter and it was trying to do something but never fired. next we pulled a plug from one coil and no spark, then the other coil and no spark. is there anything that you guys can think of that could cause both of those things to be a problem? if it was just the switch i would go back on ym wiring or maybe the ignighter is bad? why would the coils not all the sudden work also? im in no way a mechanic =) thats why i ask. the bike ran when i pulled it apart (not good but it ran, started off the button and everything) when i pulled the bike apart i made sure to label every wire i pulled and reconnected them all back to what they were connected to before..... im lost help!

its sex drippin on the pavement when we ride!
81 kz650csr "evelynn" my newest oldest ride choppy chop
06 zx-10r "felicia" my regular rider n track lady
01 zx-6r "vanessa" my 1st child n now streetfighter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2011 18:17 #477695 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic bike wont start.... any ideas?
On most Kawasaki's, you have to squeeze the clutch lever to get the starter to function. The ignition circuit is seperate from the starting circuit. So by just jumpering the starter solenoid the engine will turn over, but the ignition circuit must also be on for the engine to run.

Checked fuses? No loose connectors?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Sep 2011 20:09 #477715 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic bike wont start.... any ideas?
Kill switch in RUN position?

Including information about bike year and model may elicit better responses.
And it's easy to put the information in your signature where it will automatically appear in posted messages.
When done, the signature information appears in all posts, past and future. :cheer:
And may be changed as often as desired.

Attachment addsig.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
18 Sep 2011 21:22 - 18 Sep 2011 21:52 #477730 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic bike wont start.... any ideas?
FileBAse has a wiring diagram for the KZ650 81 model: www.kzrider.com/filebase/cat_view/100-19...1-kawasaki-kz-650-h1
It may help you realize where you may have a wire disconnected. Since your getting the dash lights, which should be on the Ignition switched Brown wire circuit, contact is being made up and out of the Ignition switch. I would check for the 6 wire connector, called 6P connector in the Diagram, shown just to the left of the Ignition switch. Should be in the headlight bucket.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Sep 2011 21:52 by Motor Head.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
02 Oct 2011 10:56 #480920 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic bike wont start.... any ideas?
Bump,???

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
02 Oct 2011 11:08 #480921 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic bike wont start.... any ideas?
Engine/frame properly grounded?

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az