Dyna-S vs. Loudhvx igniter mod

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
18 Sep 2011 16:48 #477681 by clutch
Dyna-S vs. Loudhvx igniter mod was created by clutch
I recently finished troubleshooting an ignition problem and it turned out to be the IC Igniter has gone bad. I can't decide whether to get a Dyna-S system or do the Loudhvx Igniter mod. I've read plenty of pros and cons for the Dyna-S on the forums, but I'm still not sure which will be better for me. I plan to turn my kz750e into a drag/track bike in the future when I have enough money to get another bike for daily riding. Would the Dyna-S be better for the drag/track side of things? I would also like to hear from those that have Dyna-s AND those that have done the Loudhvx mod too.

Thanks,

Clutch :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2011 18:38 #477702 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Dyna-S vs. Loudhvx igniter mod
Just to throw in another wrench into the plans...
for drag racing, if you modify the motor, you'll probably want to go with MSD anyway. You'll want to have some electronically programmable advance with a limiter, instead of the mechanical advancer.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Sep 2011 18:41 #477703 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Dyna-S vs. Loudhvx igniter mod

loudhvx wrote: Just to throw in another wrench into the plans...
for drag racing, if you modify the motor, you'll probably want to go with MSD anyway. You'll want to have some electronically programmable advance with a limiter, instead of the mechanical advancer.

OMG! There is a third option now!?!? Time to go read up on MSD ignition.... :blink:

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
18 Sep 2011 18:46 #477705 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Dyna-S vs. Loudhvx igniter mod

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Sep 2011 18:49 #477706 by loudhvx
Yeah, it's big dollars, though.

I guess I should throw in my breakdown for when to go Dyna S or HEI... and it won't really help you I'm afraid.

For someone with points, I would recommend the Dyna S unless they are really into making parts. This is because they already have coils that will work and they won't have to get a pickup and rotor assembly. It ends up cheaper.

For anyone with a factory electronic ignition, (mechanical advancer type), I recommend the HEI if they only need a module. It's way cheaper than converting to Dyna S, where they would have to get new coils in addition to the Dyna S.

Unfortunately, you are in the middle somewhere, since you already have the 3-ohm coils.

You are already well read on the efficiency issues and power useage, so like I said in the other thread, it's sort of up to whether you like making stuff or not. Making half of an igniter for $25 is not too bad. I'm not sure how much a Dyna S is nowadays.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Sep 2011 18:54 #477708 by clutch

loudhvx wrote: Yeah, it's big dollars, though.

I guess I should throw in my breakdown for when to go Dyna S or HEI... and it won't really help you I'm afraid.

For someone with points, I would recommend the Dyna S unless they are really into making parts. This is because they already have coils that will work and they won't have to get a pickup and rotor assembly. It ends up cheaper.

For anyone with a factory electronic ignition, (mechanical advancer type), I recommend the HEI if they only need a module. It's way cheaper than converting to Dyna S, where they would have to get new coils in addition to the Dyna S.

Unfortunately, you are in the middle somewhere, since you already have the 3-ohm coils.

You are already well read on the efficiency issues and power useage, so like I said in the other thread, it's sort of up to whether you like making stuff or not. Making half of an igniter for $25 is not too bad. I'm not sure how much a Dyna S is nowadays.

Dyna-S runs about $130 from Z1...and that fits better into my price range than the MSD ignition. I do enjoy making parts, soldering, etc, but the price difference between the HEI mod and the Dyna-S isn't big enough to be a factor in making my decision. I think since I already have those 3 ohm coils though, I made end up going with the Dyna-S....maybe. I do, after all, still have the stock coils that are still work just fine....

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
18 Sep 2011 19:59 #477712 by Godfrey
Replied by Godfrey on topic Dyna-S vs. Loudhvx igniter mod
Hmmm, so is the loudhvx circuit the one with the 2 4prong HEI modules in place of the ignitor box?

I have a dyna S on my 750 engine , revs right to 11 grand if I take it that far with no sputter.

1981 650CSR frame

1980 KZ750E engine
The following user(s) said Thank You: clutch

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Sep 2011 20:02 #477713 by clutch

Godfrey wrote: Hmmm, so is the loudhvx circuit the one with the 2 4prong HEI modules in place of the ignitor box?

I have a dyna S on my 750 engine , revs right to 11 grand if I take it that far with no sputter.

Yes, that's the one I'm referring to. So with the dyna s, have you had any problems with the charging system? I've also heard that some have either the 1/4 or 2/3 side drop. Have you had any issues with that?

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
19 Sep 2011 13:56 #477881 by loudhvx
The Dyna S does use more power, but your 3-phase 750 should be able to power it without much trouble. Maybe the voltage will be a little lower at idle, but once you are moving, it should be fine.

Most often, if there is a charging problem, it is with the 1978 and later, 1-phase, charging system on KZ650's. That often gets corrected by converting to a 3-phase system. (And I've seen some Hondas with similar problems with the Dyna S. and charging.)

More
19 Sep 2011 14:50 #477890 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic Dyna-S vs. Loudhvx igniter mod

loudhvx wrote: Most often, if there is a charging problem, it is with the 1978 and later, 1-phase, charging system on KZ650's. That often gets corrected by converting to a 3-phase system. (And I've seen some Hondas with similar problems with the Dyna S. and charging.)

Really?!?! That puts a wrench in my plans. I was thinking to get the Dyna S for my '79 KZ650B. Is it difficult to convert to a 3-phase? What would you recommend for my bike? I am currently running points, all original.

1979 KZ650B3

More
19 Sep 2011 15:12 #477894 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Dyna-S vs. Loudhvx igniter mod
Here's some information on this subject;

Kawasaki KZ650 Charging system information

Below are the systems used on the 650s. As you can see there are basically 3 different systems used, 2 of which are 3phase which use 3 wires and the other is single phase which used 2 wires. I would think that you could use the stator you have purchased but you will certainly have to change the regulator / recitifier to make it work correctly. You will need to get the unit(s) that are used by the machines that the stator came from.

First gen. uses 3 wires
1977 B1 standard...3phase excited field
1977 C1 custom.....3phase excited field

Second gen. uses 2 wires
1978 B2 standard...1phase permanent mag
1978 C2 custom.....1phase permanent mag
1978 D1 sr.........1phase permanent mag
1979 B3 standard...1phase permanent mag
1979 C3 custom.....1phase permanent mag
1979 D2 sr.........1phase permanent mag
1980 E1 LTD........1phase permanent mag
1980 F1 custom.....1phase permanent mag
1980 B4 standard...1phase permanent mag
1980 C4 custom.....1phase permanent mag
1980 D3 sr.........1phase permanent mag

Third gen. uses 3 wires
1981 D4 sr..............3phase permanent mag
1981 F2 ................3phase permanent mag
1982 F3 ................3phase permanent mag
1983 F4 ................3phase permanent mag
1981 H1 csr.............3phase permanent mag
1982 H2 csr.............3phase permanent mag
1983 H3 csr.............3phase permanent mag up to KZ650DE052650

Fourth gen.
1983 H3 csr.............New type 3phase permanent mag starting at KZ650DE052651

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 Sep 2011 15:28 #477899 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic Dyna-S vs. Loudhvx igniter mod
Wow cool thanks! So, just to clearify, did you say that I will need to change the stock stator on my KZ650B3? I have NOT yet purchased any components for my ignition upgrade.

1979 KZ650B3