Handle bars live after fitting toggle switch

More
18 Sep 2011 03:55 #477593 by peterg
Repairing Wiring in L & RH switches on 77 KZ 650' rerouted wiring through handlebars all ok , removed headlight and hi low beam wiring and connected them to toggle switches mounted on alloy bracket at steering head under tachometer and ignition switch.
replaced glass fuse setup with blade fuse setup all seems OK.

Now here is the problem I have, when I connect the headlight wiring ( brown ,brow/white &blue/white) and test it with multimeter from the fuse box the handle bar and toggle switch bracket is live.

Any advice what I should be looking at to fix problem would be appreciated. new nothing about electrics a week ago, learnt a lot but it appears I have a bit more learning to do yet
Cheers
Peterg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Sep 2011 07:34 #477601 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Handle bars live after fitting toggle switch
if you go from the switch to the bars with your meter you should read 12v since your bars are acting as a ground through the frame/motor for your electrical system .
if your bars were actually electrified you would/should be blowing the fuse atleast,is this whats happening? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
18 Sep 2011 08:04 #477604 by peterg
Thanks for your reply. The original problem was blowing fuses after instillation of the new fuse block. I repaired the wiiring in the switches both sides to fix problem. I haven't reconnected the battery as yet, I was checking continuity of the wiring from the fuse block to the new switch and the multimeter sounded if I touched anywhere on the bars etc. Strangely this happens if I check continuity from the fuse block but if I unplug the wires attached to the switch at the point where It joins the wing harness and then check the continuity from there to the switch it is ok??

• wireman
  • User
More
18 Sep 2011 08:25 #477605 by wireman
try removing wires from switch then check between each side of switch to ground to make sure its not shorted.
check the power wire coming to the switch to ground with it disconnected from the switch,then remove headlight and check the high/low beam wires to ground.
if you leave the headlight installed while check high/low beam it could read through the ground wire coming from headlight showing a false short/continuity to ground B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peterg

• wireman
  • User
More
18 Sep 2011 08:30 #477606 by wireman
i normally wire my headlight so it comes on as soon as the key is on and i also leave them wired on high beam to make sure idiots see me coming,compared to the halogen bulbs on new cars a single high beam on a motorcycle is not that bright B)

More
18 Sep 2011 09:09 #477611 by peterg
Thanks for the advice will follow up in morning and see how I go with it with it with a fresh start.

• wireman
  • User
More
18 Sep 2011 09:13 #477613 by wireman
yeah sometimes you just have to walk away from it for a while,my problem is sometimes it takes years to get back to it! :laugh:

More
18 Sep 2011 22:15 #477744 by peterg
Thanks for your help wireman much appreciated. I tackled it again this morning and all electrics up and going, lights operating on toggle switches and wiring from left and right switches routed through bars and plenty of room to fix the chafing problem due to overcrowding.
Cheers

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
18 Sep 2011 22:35 #477750 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Handle bars live after fitting toggle switch
Not on topic, but Luck you living down there in Tassie mate!!
What a beautiful place, loved it and hope to return one day for another tour, maybe on a bike.
Where about do you call home?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
19 Sep 2011 07:05 #477818 by peterg
Thanks mate I am in the south of the island in Hobart. Pretty Laid back lifestyle and great place for riding that's for sure.
But the place gets a bit small for me sometimes and you get the urge to travel a road somewhere else but you always return
Cheers