82 kz550c coil wiring and plug order question

More
11 Sep 2011 14:38 - 11 Sep 2011 14:42 #475923 by nkymain485
so after disassembling my bike to repaint the frame i forgot to write down what plug wires went to where... i have searched but am still confused... Here are few pictures of how i have it currently which i am not 100% sure if its right...

here is the left side sitting on the bike: i plugged the green into the far side that is marked - and the y/r in the other marked +

here is the right side sitting on the bike: i plugged the black into the - and the r/y into the +

then here is my plug wires... which im pretty sure is incorrect, this is the right side sitting on the bike: i have the first running to the far right plug then the second running to the second far right plug

this is the left side sitting on the bike: and i did the same thing...

any help on getting this straightened out would be much much much appreciated!
Last edit: 11 Sep 2011 14:42 by nkymain485.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2011 15:13 #475926 by MFolks
For some strange reason, Kawasaki has the coil wiring backwards from the Bigger 4's than the 550's,650's and 750s.

Ignition Coil Primary And Secondary Wiring

Ignition coils on the 80’s Kz1000,Kz1100’s and Gpz1100’s are wired the same, that is as you sit on the bike, the LEFT ignition coil primary(small wires) are two wires, RED and BLACK. The secondary (or sparkplug wires) go to #1 and #4 sparkplugs(your primary wiring may be different). The 550’s,650’s & 750’s are backwards to what is listed for the bigger 4’s.

The cylinders are numbered left to right as you sit on the seat; #1,#2,#3, and #4.

For the RIGHT ignition coil, the primary wires, again are two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary going to #2 and #3.

The RED wire gets it’s voltage from the run/stop switch on the right handlebar switch pod. Your primary wiring may have a different color.

The BLACK and GREEN wires connect to the IC Igniter(if the bike has the Kawasaki supplied electronic ignition) it actually gives the coils their grounds to fire the sparkplugs.

Primary(small wires) side of the coils will read between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms.

Secondary(sparkplug wire ports)side of the coil will read between 10.4K to 15.6K ohms. These ports are wired together, so it makes no difference which is used, as long as the correct coil to sparkplug configuration is followed.

The sparkplug caps should read 5K OHMS, any higher, or a reading of infinity means new caps should be ordered.

To stress the ignition coils, take a hair dryer, heat the coils and see if the ohm readings change from cold to hot . If they do, it’s time to buy new coils.
Keep in mind, the wiring is reversed for the 550’s 650‘s and 750‘s, that is the RIGHT coil primary will be two wires, RED and BLACK with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #1 and #4.

The LEFT coils primary wiring would be again two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #2 and #3.

These engines have what is known as a “Wasted Spark” that is, a sparkplug will fire during an exhaust stroke. It does no damage and many other motorcycle engines have this design.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: nkymain485

More
11 Sep 2011 15:29 - 11 Sep 2011 15:30 #475931 by nkymain485
Replied by nkymain485 on topic 82 kz550c coil wiring and plug order question
sooo for the right coil the secondary goes to #1 and #4... so as long as one goes to each it doesn't matter which one really... for example the right side of the first coil can go to either 1 or 4 as long as it goes to one of them?
Last edit: 11 Sep 2011 15:30 by nkymain485.

More
11 Sep 2011 16:08 #475942 by MFolks
The sparkplug ports are wired the same on these ignition coils, so it makes no difference as to which is used as long as the sparkplug firing sequence is followerd.

On your bike the Right coil should be #1 & #4, and the Left coil #2 & #3. Use which ever port for that coil for ease of connection.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
11 Sep 2011 16:09 #475943 by Patton

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
11 Sep 2011 16:18 #475947 by MFolks
Looking at the picture you posted, I notice the sparkplug wires coming out of the coils are secured with a ridged terminal, this will unscrew from the coil. This type is replaceable with 7mm sparkplug wires. Just don't loose the small pieces inside the terminals.

There should be a cone shaped plastic piece, & a rubber seal for moisture prevention on each sparkplug wire. I've found that ordinary rubbing alcohol works great as a lubricant when re-assembling the sparkplug wires when using new ones.

Check for corrosion on the "Spike" inside the ignition coil ports. This is where the plug wires secure to the coil.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
11 Sep 2011 16:19 #475948 by Patton
Illustration under the points cover of where green and black wires are attached. Same whether points or pickups.

Black or whatever color wire from 9 o'clock (left hand or rear) position points/pickup goes to whichever coil fires outside plugs #1/4.

Green or whatever color from 3 o'clock (right-hand or forward) position points/pickup goes to whichever coil fires inside plugs #2/3.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
11 Sep 2011 16:25 #475949 by Patton
The wires from the ignition to the respective ignition coils are sometimes referred to as "trigger wires" or "signal wires," because the wire serves to successively ground and un-ground the coil primary winding.

When grounded, the coil charges.
When un-grounded, the coil fires through the "secondary loop" comprised of the secondary winding, both plug wires, both plugs, and the metal connection between the plugs provided by the engine head.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Sep 2011 18:14 #475977 by nkymain485
Replied by nkymain485 on topic 82 kz550c coil wiring and plug order question
this is all awesome info thanks everyone for the help!!! its much appreciated!!

More
12 Sep 2011 12:47 #476118 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 82 kz550c coil wiring and plug order question
I think you have the coils mounted backwards. Usually the plug wires shoot torward the back of the bike as they come out of the coils. The small wires are usually up toward the front of the bike.

You should see small scuff marks on the valve cover where the plug wires rubbed on the intake side of the valve cover. I think I see the scuffs in your photo, but I'm not sure.

And as was said... right hand coil, with small black wire, feeds 1 and 4, and the left hand coil, with small green wire, feeds 2 and 3.

The plug wires are numbered from the factory.