anybody got a regulator handy?

• newowner79kz750b1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 79 kz750b4
More
30 Aug 2011 01:15 #472739 by newowner79kz750b1
anybody got a regulator handy? was created by newowner79kz750b1
figured it would be worth a shot. im a new rider this year. ive gotten to ride like three times before my 79 kz750 twin took a dump :-( ive tired everything to fix it. im thinking it might be my regulator. jw if any one can help a friend on and letting me borrow one (if any one has oone handy) to try it out and see if it would work. i just dont have the extra money to buy one and "hope" works, i can send it back to u of course. not looking for a handout just some help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Aug 2011 09:29 #472784 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic anybody got a regulator handy?
Post your location, change your Profile to include your location. Also make sure to include your bike info in your signature. If you know which regulator, is it a separate or combo, with how many wires and there colors. Then maybe you will get a better response.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
30 Aug 2011 11:48 #472821 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic anybody got a regulator handy?
Well he has the model in the post and it's in his name but the 79 was a KZ750-B4 I thought?

Depending on when your bike was made that year it had either the combo or the individual R&R, best to let everyone know which you have first.

What seems to be the problem you're having?

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

• newowner79kz750b1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 79 kz750b4
More
30 Aug 2011 21:05 #473009 by newowner79kz750b1
Replied by newowner79kz750b1 on topic anybody got a regulator handy?
im not sure if its all in one or not. im pretty sure it is. im very new to motorcycles. im not having any spark at all. i replaced the coil with an emgo coil,new wires,new plugs,new plug caps, new battery.
when i first installed the coil the bike fired right up on the first turn of the starter. rode it. left it at my buddies house for a few days. came back. tired starting it and it was hard to start but eventually it did start but it wouldnt stay running. tried to start it again and started but died. did that four times. and on the fifth try i couldnt get it started. checked for spark and i have no spark what so ever. a friend of mine that is alot smarter then me at mechanics said he thinks it the regulator. according to my manual though it could be my condenser. i did look at my points and condenser and they look brand new. they r super shiny and no a spec of dirt on them.

i bought the bike about two months ago and the bike rode like it was brand new so im almost 100 percent sure points and everything are adusting.

More
30 Aug 2011 21:16 #473012 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic anybody got a regulator handy?
www.electrosport.com has a good troubleshooting page. They also make replacement rectifier/regulators.

Other websites for replacement rectifers/regulators are:
www.regulatorrectifier.com
www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com
www.accel-motorcycle.com/
www.tpe-usa.com/ (Tim Parrott Enterprises)

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
30 Aug 2011 21:19 #473014 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic anybody got a regulator handy?
With ignition switch ON, what is measured voltage at the coil primary terminal?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Aug 2011 21:24 #473016 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic anybody got a regulator handy?
Get the Battery charged back up, and make sure it is good. Get it to run, repair the reason for no spark. Then test the charging system. Bike will run for awhile on just the battery, if it is in good condition and charged.
You can do quite a bit of charging system testing without it running. But running would be preferred.
Do you have the Manual for your bike? If not look here for a pdf version. There will be a wiring diagram in "File Base", top right of the toolbar on your page.
Checked all the fuses yet, power to the ignition coil? What do you have for testing, a DVOM, or test light?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...