Killed the electronics

More
27 Aug 2011 03:04 #472093 by sham
Killed the electronics was created by sham
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone could tell me what I did wrong, and any guesses on the 'damage' done.

I've been playing around with my kit CDI trying to make it work. In the process, I had managed to "hot wire" it and get a spark, but I had been unable to get it to spark with the starter button. After going through the instruction manual again and reading through the service manual, I thought I understood the problem to be that I had mixed up the "generator coil" and "trigger coil" connections.

So I rewired the bike, to this configuration:

Generator coil - Alternator
Trigger coil - Pick up coil
Kill switch - Ignition switch
Chassis - Chassis
Ignition coil - Ignition coil

I turned the key and the lights went on, and then, I don't remember if I hit the starter or not, but it all died.

Now I have no electronics.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2011 03:58 #472095 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Killed the electronics

sham wrote: Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone could tell me what I did wrong, and any guesses on the 'damage' done.

I've been playing around with my kit CDI trying to make it work. In the process, I had managed to "hot wire" it and get a spark, but I had been unable to get it to spark with the starter button. After going through the instruction manual again and reading through the service manual, I thought I understood the problem to be that I had mixed up the "generator coil" and "trigger coil" connections.

So I rewired the bike, to this configuration:

Chassis - Chassis

I turned the key and the lights went on, and then, I don't remember if I hit the starter or not, but it all died.

Now I have no electronics.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

What exactly went out? If a lot of things died (like lights and turn signals etc) it blew a fuse.

If ONLY the ignition unit is dead, it may have blown an internal fuse. My CDI has an internal fuse.

Chassis - Chassis

That middle one looks wrong. A "kill switch" is normally a switch you connect to disable the ignition, ie emergency cutoff switch.

If you have five wires they have to be:

1) 12V power from the ignition SW
2) signal from the pickup coil (or points)
3) Output to the primary + side of ignition coil.
4) Ground

5) "Kill Switch" sounds like an optional accessory that disables the ignition in an emergency. I assume it has to go to either ground or 12V to disable, check the manual to see which (?)

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
27 Aug 2011 04:22 - 27 Aug 2011 04:24 #472097 by sham
Replied by sham on topic Killed the electronics
Hey bountyhunter,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeh everything went out - headlight, indicator, the dashboard lights, the lot. Could you point me to where the fuse might be? I haven't been able to find it in the service manual. If its the internal fuse I'm thinking the lights etc should still work cos they were working without the CDI?

The schematics in the manual call the kill switch the ignition switch - following the schematics from the wiring diagram it goes to the lot which controls the starter button, engine stop switch, headlight switch.

I'm not sure if its possible, but my battery is reading at 0 now as well, even though its new. Perhaps I screwed up the multi meter too? Ha...
Last edit: 27 Aug 2011 04:24 by sham.

More
27 Aug 2011 05:48 #472102 by sham
Actually I haven't wired it to the alternator - the generator wire was only hooked up to the second pick up coil. I have no idea what this little box connected to the pick up coil is.

More
27 Aug 2011 08:26 #472107 by sham
Found the fuse box - you were right, the fuse connected to the white wire was blown. Is there any particular fuse I need to be using?

More
27 Aug 2011 08:45 #472109 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic Killed the electronics
did you get linked up to the pdf service manual yet?
make sure you dont overfuse it, glad the fix was simple.

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio

More
27 Aug 2011 09:37 #472114 by sham
I ended up buying a manual from ebay. Took three weeks or so to get here, but I've got it now and its been pretty useful.

Its strange that the blown fuse was a 15A one, but the manual says 20A. Not sure why that is, but I assume that may be why it blew. Which might be good news for me if its an indication that the kit CDI was working?

And these fuses are cheap - 5 for $5 from supercheapauto :)