attn: people with relocated electrical trays

More
26 Aug 2011 00:49 #471845 by xbmxxx
Where do you move them to? I am looking to clean up the area under the side covers on 76 750 twin. Ive been looking for hours and cant find out a single thing about this, yet it seems like every bike built no matter the style has it done. If anyone has an advice or links to a writeup I would really appreciate it!

76 KZ750B Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2011 03:01 #472092 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic attn: people with relocated electrical trays
Have you seen this thread? I have a few photos there.
kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/469606-ru...th-no-battery-how-to

Basically, if you can plan really well, there is just enough room under the seat pan, in between the fram rails, so that the parts can be seen from below, but the frame rails hide it all if you view the bike from the side.

More
27 Aug 2011 06:02 #472103 by Cuff
I made a shallow box that hangs in between and little below the frame rails. You can kind of see it just over the battery. Had to fab a batt tray to make it all fit the way I wanted but worth the work. I left an air channel under the seat so everything stays cool.

More
08 Jul 2015 17:21 #680085 by Jbosh
Cuff, can you share dimensions on how you fabricated your wiring tray under your seat? I am especially curious as to how deep you went. I have a few pictures on my project build for my kz440 that I wouldn't mind some feedback on as I am still in template phase. Many thanks!

As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!

More
08 Jul 2015 18:58 #680100 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic attn: people with relocated electrical trays
I did the same thing but it wasn't cheap. You can check out my build thread its still in progress, there is a link in my signature.
1) I upgraded to a Motogadget M-Unit, really this just helps clean up wiring and adds reliability. I am building a new harness as the stock one had to many gremlins.
2) Upgraded to a Mosfet all in one regulator/rectifier. Saves space and again reliability. I have changed all lighting to LEDs (including head light) and the old set up isn't designed to dissipate that much voltage. Additionally, leading into #3, it is better for running LiPo (Lithium) batteries.
3) Huge space saver, LiPo battery. Much smaller, 1/4 the weight, more cranking amps. If you go the minimalist route(no starter minimal lights and gadgetry) you can get away with a very small battery, especially if you go kick start only.

I have even seen guys use a small battery and stuff it in the rear fender pocket, again this is a minimalist set up.

Here is a pic of how I have my Items staged for install. Keep in mind I stuffed an oil cooler and coils under the seat and still have a lot of room to breath.

Top view of electronics tray.

This is with the electronics tray installed(the coils are mounted to it).

Hope this helps a little

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jbosh

More
10 Jul 2015 21:44 #680342 by Jbosh
Kaw-a-holic,
You rock! That was really helpful. I'm still wrapping my head around how some elements work so 1) does a wiring tray need to be sealed from the elements? And 2) how did you mount yours to the frame? I don't recall reading this in your project feed as I've been following you haha. I'll look again here because really your bike is sick!

As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!