new problems. '78 650

More
18 Aug 2011 02:37 #469690 by k0ba1t
new problems. '78 650 was created by k0ba1t
So fixed the ground issue, installed new regulator, and now some other weird problems showed up. I don't think i am getting spark, none of the cluster lights work, the headlight doesn't turn on, brake light works, rear turn signals don't work, and front turn signals are on constantly. One thing to note is that i did notice the coils got a little warm, not hot but a noticeable temp difference.

What could be going on here? All switches were tested and work, and all fuses are good. I will be continuity checking basically all the wiring when I next get back to her.

1978 kz650c matte black. Current project.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2011 10:55 #469728 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic new problems. '78 650
Sounds like you may have fried something.

1. All of the lights that you mentioned are not working, check the bulbs. You may have overloaded them.

2. You said that you "dont think" you are getting spark? Be sure by checking. Remove one of spark plugs, connect it to the cable, turn the key to 'on', ground the plug by touching it against the side of the motor, and kick the engine over. You will be able to see the spark if there is one.

3. You said that the front turn signals are always on. Are they blinking or just constant on? The front turn signals on these bikes are also running lights, they are always on if the front headlight is on.

1979 KZ650B3

More
18 Aug 2011 14:17 #469761 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic new problems. '78 650
Color Codes On Most Kawasaki’s (written for 1980’s bikes)

HEADLIGHT
RED with BLACK stripe, High Beam.
RED with YELLOW stripe, Low Beam.
BLACK with YELLOW stripe, the ground circuit.

BRAKE/TAIL LIGHT Can be an # 1157 dual filament bulb
RED, Running or Tail Light.
BLUE,(sometimes with a Red stripe) Brake Light Circuit.

LEFT FRONT TURN SIGNAL Can be an #1157 dual filament bulb
GREEN, Left front turn signal circuit.
BLUE, Left front running light circuit.

RIGHT FRONT TURN SIGNAL Can be an # 1157 dual filament bulb
GREY, Right front turn signal circuit.
BLUE, Right front running light circuit.

LEFT REAR TURN SIGNAL Can be an #1156 single filament bulb
GREEN, Left rear turn signal circuit.

RIGHT REAR TURN SIGNAL Can be an #1156 single filament bulb
GREY, Right rear turn signal circuit.

These bikes had front running lights built into the turn signals, no rear running lights as it is a possible violation of states laws about amber(yellow) signals on the rear lights.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Aug 2011 14:18 #469763 by k0ba1t
Replied by k0ba1t on topic new problems. '78 650
I will check the bulbs. I did remove the spark plug and didn't see anytbing, then again my starter clutch is dead so the motor didnt turn all that much. And now my kick isnt working for some reason. Related? And the turn signals are constantly on, but the headlight doesnt work and I can't trigger the turn signals to flash.

What could i have fried? Flasher relays?

More
19 Aug 2011 04:00 #469970 by k0ba1t
Replied by k0ba1t on topic new problems. '78 650
Yeah i know the colors and stuff. I have the clymer manual and went to a copy center and had the wiring diagram blown up by about 75%. I guess I will just have to check the whole harness to find where my problem is. From my original search though, I couldn't see any faults that I didn't fix. And I still don't understand why my headlight and cluster are not working, the headlight looks brand new.

I guess after continuity checks and the problem is not found, start on voltage checks? I will be back to her on Sunday, but only for a little. I'll probably be with my girlfriend most of the day lol.