Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

650 timing over advanced 13 May 2006 06:38 #46956

• desertkaw
  • desertkaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have got an 89 kz650 that was rescued from rural Wisonsin. It has 8000 original miles, was cleaned up inside and out, given some new wearable parts and sold to me in Arizona. Runs good. I have been riding it about 100 miles a day for the last two weeks. It seemed to start losing a little get up, I knew it had a new points plate, but also know those little guys find themselves out of adjustment quickly when riding these machines wound out on the highway. The point gaps were less than the spec .012 so I reset to .014. Normal wear would put them further apart than spec correct? The timing was firing a good six degrees advanced of the F mark at idle for both sets. I dialed it back and the old thing went to crap, running rich, no snapping the throttle or it would die. I needed to ride to work the next day so I set the points back to six degrees advanced, and it was fine. Now, here's the question. Is advancing the timing at idle this far a compensation for having the the carbs set too rich? Would it be the next logical place to look? I'm running fine as it is I suppose, except I think I could expect more from my gas mileage (which is something around 35) and a little more snap off the line. If it is something like the carbs is going to be the main jet needle getting lowered? By the way everything on this bike is fairly close to stock, 4 in to 2, got the air box still. any suggestions would be awesome. thanx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

650 timing over advanced 13 May 2006 10:22 #46986

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Normally over time the point gap decreases because it's actually the rubbing block (the part that rides on the cam) that wears.
Check your timing advancer and make sure it's not stuck, and take it off and make sure the little pin that locates it in place is not damaged.

If it ran good before, don't mess with the carbs.
KD9JUR

650 timing over advanced 13 May 2006 17:07 #47059

• kawsakiman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
not for nothing but the first thing i always do is upgrade to a dyna ignition. it is only about $130-$150 depending where you get it.the performance and hassle free dependablity far outweighs the cost.(just like a ronco "set it and forget it") but also make sure your advancer is working right. good luck!

Post edited by: kawsakiman, at: 2006/05/13 20:08
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• Page: