Stuck on the side of the road.

• oldschoolbobber
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Aug 2011 12:32 #469170 by oldschoolbobber
Stuck on the side of the road. was created by oldschoolbobber
Well, Saturday didn't go so well in taking my bobber (79 KZ750 twin) to a local bike show. On my way there while riding down the highway, the bike just shut down. Upon inspection of what could have caused the problem, I found that the power wire running from my battery to the starter solenoid broke the ring terminal off which, I'm assuming caused the wire to touch the outside basket of the solenoid. What I have found so far:

1. Blown headlight. Fuse was not blown.
2. No taillight but do have a brake light
3. No spark at the points
4. Engine will turn over while trying to start it but, will not start.

Is it possible that the stator, regulator, coil, or condenser could be fried? Sorry, I'm not the greatest electronics guru but, I can read a multimeter and have general knowledge of what each component does. I have looked at the wires and can't seem to find anything shorting themselves out. Any help/starting point would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I'll have it running again before snow hits the ground.

Thanks,
Oldschoolbobber

79 KZ750 Betty the backyard bobber

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2011 21:17 #469257 by Tested
Replied by Tested on topic Stuck on the side of the road.
The EXACT same thing just happened to me. I was logging on to post about it but here it is.

I have a 77 KZ750. While cruising down the highway it just stopped running. I had a short yesterday but rewired some stuff and drove it about 50 miles before this happened.

No tail or brake light. Turns over but won't start. No electrical lights but the battery is still good.

So I'm hoping that someone here has some guidance. Electrical is not my strong point either.

2008 KLR 650

1977 KZ 750

_____ Have had _____

1981 KZ 440
1970's CR 125
1982 KLX 175

More
15 Aug 2011 21:42 #469265 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Stuck on the side of the road.
The old style glass fuses can look ok when actually blown. Take out of the fuse holder, clean the fuse holder terminals and test the fuses with a multimeter.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: oldschoolbobber

More
16 Aug 2011 19:45 - 16 Aug 2011 19:52 #469447 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Stuck on the side of the road.
If a battery becomes unconnected while riding down the highway, the bike usually will keep running for awhile. But the regulator pulses don't get filtered by the battery anymore so the regulator loses regulation. (See below for more on why.) The result is, at highway speeds, the bike will get too much voltage. The headlight will get very hot, sometimes the glass actually melts, (not break). Most bulbs will overheat and burn out. The coil may overheat and short out. The regulator may actually get damaged. Points may get pitted heavily, and condenser may go bad.

The reason the voltage goes so high is because a voltage regulator regulates based on average voltage. Without a battery or capacitor to smooth out the alternator pulses, the RMS voltage goes very high, without necessarily having the average voltage getting very high.

Here is an overly technical explanation of the difference between average voltage and RMS voltage:
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/ACvoltmeter.pdf
It is written to explain what AC voltmeters are actually telling you, but will also demonstrate why pulsed voltage has more energy than smooth DC voltage, even though the average voltage may be the same.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2011 19:52 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kzgeoff, oldschoolbobber

• oldschoolbobber
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Aug 2011 11:21 - 17 Aug 2011 11:22 #469529 by oldschoolbobber
Replied by oldschoolbobber on topic Stuck on the side of the road.
loudhvx,

You hit the nail on the head. So far the damage that I have found is as follows:
1. Fried Coil
2. Blown headlight (exactly as you described it with an actual hole in the glass)
3. 5 fried resistors on my led taillight board
4. Condenser meters as good
5. Haven't checked the regulator yet. Was going to buy a coil and go from there.

I'm going to order a new coil. Should I just buy a stock coil for the replacement? I'm going to do your HEI mod so I was wondering if the stock coil would be the best option? I do have mounting restrictions since the frame is custom made for the stock coil.

Thanks for the help!! You da man!

79 KZ750 Betty the backyard bobber
Last edit: 17 Aug 2011 11:22 by oldschoolbobber.

More
17 Aug 2011 11:38 #469531 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Stuck on the side of the road.
Yes, stock should be fine if you can find one. Z1enterprises sells the Emgo 4 ohm coil which basically looks like the stock one, and it's cheap. Some Kz owners are using the Emgo coils and report it works fine. I'm not 100% sure it fits exactly the same, though. If the bolt spacing is off, it won't be by much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oldschoolbobber