82 kz 550 with dyna S ingition..

More
09 Aug 2011 22:56 #468104 by harmongreer
82 kz 550 with dyna S ingition.. was created by harmongreer
i am putting a dyna s ignition in my 82 kz 550. the original IC igniter has 5 wires 2 black/yellow, 1 red/yellow, one black and one green.

I understand matching the black to black on the coil pickup and the green to green as well.

the instruction say to wire the red and yellow to the red wire on from the coil pickups and splice that to a switched 12 volt circuit.

all the diagrams i have seen are not really clear and dont explain what the black and yellow wires are.
I assume they are switched 12 volts but why 2 of them? if that is the case how would it be wired? Wire the red and the black and yellow together then splice them with the red and yellow?

any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2011 23:11 #468109 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 82 kz 550 with dyna S ingition..
There are diagrams on KZR for the Dyna S. Perhaps a search will show them.

By the way, don't throw away the pickups, rotor, or igniter. If they are good, someone will want them. They are more efficient than the Dyna S.

Also, I assume you bought new coils as well? You can't use the stock coils with the Dyna S, or at least Dyna says not to.

The original IC igniter will not be used with the Dyna S. Nor will the original pickups, so you don't have to worry about those wires. But, for the record, the igniter has 8 wires. 4 are skinny and 4 fat. The 4 skinny wires go to the pickups. They are Black, Blue, Yellow, and red. The 4 fat wires are Red (or Red/yellow) for switched 12v, Black/Yellow for ground, Black for the 1-4 coil, and Green for the 2-3 coil.

More
14 Aug 2011 18:48 #469069 by harmongreer
Replied by harmongreer on topic 82 kz 550 with dyna S ingition..
i got it running but the tach doesnt work. any ideas as to what to try?

Harmon

More
14 Aug 2011 19:10 #469073 by harmongreer
Replied by harmongreer on topic 82 kz 550 with dyna S ingition..
discovered the tach was cable driven, not electronic... bummer. found broken drive cable

thanks anyways.