Replacing bushings/seal in 83 1100 Spectre

More
12 Aug 2011 11:35 #468595 by draboo
Replied by draboo on topic Replacing bushings/seal in 83 1100 Spectre
I bypassed the solenoid completely.I disconnected the cable from the starter to the solenoid and connected it to a jumper cable to the Jeep battery. Then I grounded it on top of the engine with the other cable.

The only connection that is not cleaned/checked is the ground on the engine block. I will find that today. All the others are squeaky clean.

I followed the manual as far as checking for shorts. I cleaned it with electrical cleaner and where the brushes ride with some very fine sandpaper and cleaned the little grooves out. The starter "seems" to work fine out of the bike. It did work initially after the first time I installed it along with the new fully charged battery. It spun the engine over like never before. I let it just spin without the choke for a bit to see how well it worked, maybe 10 seconds or so.Then I fired it up and went for a spin. After that 2 mile ride is when it stopped working.

1983 KZ1100D Spectre shaft

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
12 Aug 2011 16:53 - 12 Aug 2011 16:53 #468637 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Replacing bushings/seal in 83 1100 Spectre
2 mile ride, you wouldn't think that would heat up much electrically.
1 Way to check the ground, and then also the positive cable, would be to use a set of jumper cables. First attach one from the engine case to the Negative battery terminal. Then try the positive, directly to the starter post and battery positive post. Again measuring battery voltage level at the same time is good practice.
Something sounds like it has a intermittent/ loose contact.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 12 Aug 2011 16:53 by Motor Head.

More
12 Aug 2011 17:16 #468646 by draboo
I m damn near ready to part it out!! I am out of options, except for buying a different starter,then if it does the same thing..???

Sorry for the rant..would like to ride it to a picnic tomorrow.

I cleaned the ground connection on the engine..now every connection is clean. Tried jumping both the battery, and the starter directly again from the Jeep.I even went as far as taking the starter with the cable out, grounding the starter to the Jeep engine, and directly connecting the cable to the battery. This starter cranks just fine. I can feel the torque. The ONLY other place where there could be a bad connection,and I just thought of this while typing, would be where the starter bolts to the engine. I could shine up the starter and where it bolts, I guess. After that, I m stumped. It sure "seems" like something is locking up inside the starter clutch cover. :angry:

• Motor Head
  • User
More
12 Aug 2011 18:17 #468657 by Motor Head
Ok I know this thing is getting to you a bit. But its only a bike, it can be fixed. Crack a cold one and when you feel like going back to it then try this.
Take your volt meter and put it across the Stud that has the battery cable on it at the starter, then the other to the engine block. Then try two things, one measure Ohms/ continuity, then try Voltage as you try to start it.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
12 Aug 2011 20:40 #468691 by draboo
A friend(Honda car mechanic) stopped by with his meter. We tested it while under load and just over 8 volts on the meter. I took it apart, and the armature is toast. Weird,tho, that it would work just fine out of the bike..

I'm gonna pick one up somewhere. There is one on CL from a 97 KZ1000 police (same part no.) I offered him 75 and am awaiting a response. Unless there is someone on here from the Seattle area that has one..?? or just the armature, I have everything else.

Thanks M.Head for all your support.

Brad

• Motor Head
  • User
More
12 Aug 2011 20:51 #468696 by Motor Head
Well it's good news that you have it figured out, but bad to here it is shot. Got a camera to post a picture of the armature? What Toast, as it worked with no load, right? Just curious.
I think there are some members around up there in the W. maybe someone will chime in?
Posting a wanted to buy is a good idea.

More
12 Aug 2011 22:31 #468721 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Replacing bushings/seal in 83 1100 Spectre
Your local electrical starter rebuilding shop should have the ability to re-do your starter motor, I'd have them do this if possible first before spending money for another possible problem.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Aug 2011 12:10 #468794 by draboo
I will dig it out of the garbage and take a few pics. It smells burnt. Some small copper shavings came out,too. I think I did something wrong on reassembly. Like I mentioned previously, it did work initially very well,then pretty much quit after that 2 mile ride.

I wonder if it would be worth it to take it to an automotive electrical place and see if the armature might be salvagable/rewound, like MFolks suggested. Hmm..

I see Z1 Enterprises has a new aftermarket one for 208.00 plus shipping. The salvage yard wants 125.00

More
13 Aug 2011 14:38 #468809 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Replacing bushings/seal in 83 1100 Spectre
I'd check with the rewinding shops before spending $$ on an unknown condition starter motor.
They're gonna say either yes or no about the rewinding.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Motor Head
  • User
More
14 Aug 2011 10:10 #468995 by Motor Head
I posted some info in your "Wanted Thread"

More
14 Aug 2011 12:36 #469023 by draboo
Thanks,MH,for the info. I had a guy call me from NY and he is sending me a starter out Monday.

I still havent dug in the garbage yet for the old armature. I would like to get the armature checked out and see if it is indeed salvageable. An extra starter is a nice thing to have handy with no kickstarter.