1983 csr305 helppp

More
07 Aug 2011 05:19 #467408 by caltman
1983 csr305 helppp was created by caltman
hi all im new to this site and to streetbikes,i race dirtbikes and know how to work on and maintain them.i recently bought a 1982 kawasaki csr305 off of a lady near by my house.it has 6000 miles and i paid 200 bucks,now to the problem...the lady said it runs for 10 minutes and shuts off so i figured it would be something stupid and bought it.i brought it home,cleaned the carbs and changed the oil before even trying to start it.i hooked the battery up and got it to fire but only for about 10 seconds when i felt the battery cables and they were smokin hot.also i had the battery charger on and the one coil which somebody put on and used wire nuts to hold the wires together started to get pretty hot,there is a black wire that comes out of the coil and it just snipped off.also some wires around the battery are burnt like for the turn signal blinker.there are also places where somebody put new wire in and used some type of wire clamp.if anybody has any info for me or had a similiar problem i would greatly appreciate any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2011 14:03 - 08 Aug 2011 14:05 #467714 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic 1983 csr305 helppp
Welcome to the forum.

I recommend--

1. Get a factory shop manual for your particular year and model. There may be one in the file base on this site, or one of the members may have an electronic version he or she can send. It will have good diagnostic procedures outlined in it.

2. Insure that the odd coil has the correct resistance for your particular bike. A reasonably good amp/Ohm/volt meter is a necessity.

3. Get a factory shop manual.

4. Be very nice to MFolks - he may post one of his very useful diagnostic posts. Otherwise, search the forum for them.

5. Get a factory shop manual. It is MUCH better than aftermarket manuals like Haynes, etc.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 08 Aug 2011 14:05 by TexasKZ.

More
08 Aug 2011 14:11 #467719 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1983 csr305 helppp
Welcome aboard. Do NOT start or run the bike with a battery charger hooked up or with jumper cables hooked to a running engine. Doing so will fry electrical components. Also, as TexasKZ said, get a Kawasaki service manual. They can usually be found on eBay; just be sure ot get the one for your exact year/model. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
08 Aug 2011 14:20 #467725 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 1983 csr305 helppp
I noticed you've posted on the Kawasaki twin forums, a good first choice for advice for your problem. If possible, get a wiring diagram for troubleshooting. Kz rider may have one in the "Filebase"(top right coner of the home page) and www.wgcarbs.com may also have a wiring diagram, but you'll need to join his forum to find out.

I'm not a big fan of hacked up wiring bundles, to make it easier on yourself, look at the bike salvage yards for a replacemt wire harness for your bike. Try these websites:

Motorcycle Salvage Companies
www.cycle-salvage.com
www.motorcycle-recycle-center.com/
www.newrivercyclesalvage.com/index.html
www.bornagainbikes.net/
www.motolane.com/

I can probably locate replacement electrical connectors used in your bike, but first get a wiring diagram and a good, inexpensive multimeter for voltage and resisitance checking.

Radio Shack,Lowes,Home Depot & Sears all sell good,cheap multimeters.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
09 Aug 2011 04:11 #467933 by caltman
Replied by caltman on topic 1983 csr305 helppp
thanks for the help guys,i did find a wiring diagram.also when the one coil got hot the bike was not running but i just had the charger on.i took the charger off let it cool and then fired it and thats when the battery cables got hot.the coil that is wired together with wire nuts is just iffy,also theres a black wire coming out thats just snipped,maybe a ground?im not sure but i may have to either buy a used wire harness or re wire it myself for this thing to run correctly.