Kz1100 speedo

More
06 Aug 2011 04:11 #467175 by fergieuk
Kz1100 speedo was created by fergieuk
Hi I have the electronic speedo drive that is giving a vey wobbly reading that bears no resemblence to my speed. Is there any way to clean sensor or is it the speedo? Any help appreciated.

Fergie

KZ1100D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
06 Aug 2011 09:55 - 06 Aug 2011 10:24 #467195 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Kz1100 speedo
These of course are electronic with a speed sensor on the front wheel and no cable, same with the Tach. I have a link to a Factory Service Manual in my signature which will have testing for the speed sensor.
I would check all of the connections and that you are getting proper voltage to the unit, brown wire.
Then if all checks out with the speed sensor and connections, power to the unit. Then I would say the speedo. They can be expensive used. Or you might get lucky and find one for cheap. I've seen NOS going for like $500, used for less then $100. But these are USA MPH, with the KPH also. You may want the other KPH reading, with the MPH also. Ebay is where I've seen them.
Check your charging voltage across your battery terminals, if to high it can damage the Electronic parts. The brown wire is also the voltage "Sense" wire to your Regulator/ Rectifier. Voltage drop along the circuitry can cause the R/R to see much less voltage on this sense wire, which it will promptly make up the difference and cause overcharging.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 06 Aug 2011 10:24 by Motor Head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fergieuk

More
07 Aug 2011 10:46 #467444 by fergieuk
Replied by fergieuk on topic Kz1100 speedo
Cheers for that will get a meter on it during the week. Also manual download was great. 370 pages think will only selectively print as needed or don't tell Th boss do it at work!

KZ1100D1

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
07 Aug 2011 11:22 #467449 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Kz1100 speedo
From what I remember the spedd sensor signal goes through the Odometer/ Trip first and then on to the speedo. Orange wire I think. On the rear of the speedo, under the cover there will be three wires for the unit, not counting the lights etc. Brown= Ignition power, Orange= signal wire, and Black/ yellow= ground.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...