Street fighter type lights

More
02 Aug 2011 12:29 #466360 by Ixer
Street fighter type lights was created by Ixer
Would any of you happen to have a pic of a "street fighter" type light on a KZ550? The one i'm looking at has twin 3.5" lights so mounting shouldnt be an issue with the stock mounts, and it uses that same H4 plug so it should be plug and play. I'm still trying to decide how it would look though...Also i can only seem to find one person selling the twin / duel headlight, and thats on ebay.

Thanks for the help!

'82 KZ550 A3 - First bike, Attempting to put it back together after sitting for the last 12 or so years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2011 13:12 #466365 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Street fighter type lights
Depends on how well you do them. I slapped mine on for function and dirt-cheapness. I like them, but they are an acquired taste :sick: .

Headlights serve two purposes. One is to allow you to see, and the other is to allow you to be seen.

I use small driving lights with 35 or 55 watt halogens. But that doesn't really serve the purpose of being seen. They only help me see the road. They are bright, but their surface area is small, so it doesn't get you noticed as much as a large lens does.

Headlights have irregular shapes on the lens to scatter some light to get you seen. Driving/fog lights are smooth to let all of the light shoot forward to illuminate what's in front of you.

The ones in your photo look bigger, so they will be better for getting you noticed, than mine are.

Attachments:

More
02 Aug 2011 13:57 #466371 by Ixer
Replied by Ixer on topic Street fighter type lights
The "angry eyebrows" look pretty cool, are they auto fog lights? I never thought about fabbing a set of those to use as headlights.

here's a bottom view of the above lights.

I don't know if i'd particularly like the riding position of clip on's, i don't think my back would like me very much. So i'm not sure how'd those "fog lights" would look with stock style handle bars.

'82 KZ550 A3 - First bike, Attempting to put it back together after sitting for the last 12 or so years.

More
More
02 Aug 2011 14:11 - 02 Aug 2011 14:16 #466374 by loudhvx
Yes, the orange bike and yellow bike have driving lights. Their angle is narrower than fog lights. The red bike has standard 55W halogens EXK type MR, I think.

I think the dual lights will look fine with normal bars. The trick is to not mount them at the same height as the regular headlight. Always mount them lower, or they look like a set of search lights at a prison. :)

Also, don't use any plastic mounting hardware. There is a lof of engine vibration near the headlight area. Every plastic mount I used cracked or broke off. Use metal only. Even some of the more flimsy metal mounts came apart. I had to pop rivet where the spot welds broke. I can't believe the filaments last as long as they do, considereing the vobration. I get several years on the lamps.

Yellow has about 5 to 7 years on those bulbs. That's the bike I ride most often. The orange bike has a few years on the bulbs. The red bike has 3 years, and those are the first bulbs I put in, and they were used bulbs to begin with.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2011 14:16 by loudhvx.

More
02 Aug 2011 14:25 - 02 Aug 2011 14:46 #466375 by Ixer
Replied by Ixer on topic Street fighter type lights
This is my first bike (first i've worked on, rode, owned, etc...) and its been a learning experience thus far. Still trying to get a grasp on what i want to do to it, besides ride it! I was not running and holes in the gas tank when i got it and i'm slowly putting it back together so anything's possible.

What size tires are on the orange and yellow bikes?

Thanks for the help.

Do you have a close up of the lights / gauges on the yellow one?

Last edit: 02 Aug 2011 14:46 by Ixer.

More
02 Aug 2011 18:56 #466423 by loudhvx
I'll have to check on the tire sizes. The weird thing is, the fronts are the same size according to the numbers, but physically, the one on the yellow bike is much wider, by a lot. I wonder if it was a quality control issue or if they were made in different plants.

The tires are Dunlop GT 501's except the back on the orange is a pirelli, but I'll have to check the sizes.