Number 1 and 2 cylinders are flooding- weak spark?

More
30 Jul 2011 22:00 #465920 by ravenz07
So my new battery game in fro my 80 KZ750 (4 cylinder), so I hooked it up and figured I would start it.

First off, the carbs have been redone with new floats and the works. Slides operate smoothly.

I have not done valves yet, waiting on a metric feeler set to come in. Carbs haven't been messed with synch wise, but the pilot screws have been replaced, as well as the o rings and washers. The pilot passageways were cleaned thoroughly.

Now, I have never felt it was running quite right. I have yet to actually really ride it, but I didnt plan on it for awhile. When I first got it, gas was flooding out the first cylinder, when I would pull the spark plug, gas would come shooting out. So I knew there was a problem, so I took the carbs off and cleaned them. Today when I went to start it up, I had the pilot screws set to 2 3/4-3 turns out from a soft bottom out.

It started, but it only seems like it is running on 2 or 3 cylinders and I could hear another one coming alive every so often.

My exhaust is not completely clamped on the left side on the bottom, so I could see gas dripping out.

I checked for spark. It seemed kind of slow on every cylinder. The spark itself was an orange color. So I figured I would check it on my police bike which is my DD. The spark there was pretty bright, a whitish blue and was a rapid spark.

I am thinking it is a issue along the lines of coils and such but am not too sure. Anyone have some suggestions?

1994 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police
1980 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD
1981 Yamaha XJ650H Maxim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
31 Jul 2011 02:04 #465951 by TeK9iNe
The gas pouring into the engine is a really bad thing. Dont run on that oil for your life.

You will probly have to perform a major cleaning of the carbs to make sure they dont overflow again.

Change the oil, and get the carbs working properly.

Good luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
31 Jul 2011 02:15 #465955 by ravenz07
I dont think you read my post

1994 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police
1980 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD
1981 Yamaha XJ650H Maxim

More
31 Jul 2011 04:59 - 31 Jul 2011 05:04 #465971 by Qdude
You did not mention anything about putting a proper charge on the battery, so I will assume that you did not. Do charge it. (If you were aware that; A. a weak spark can be caused by a poorly charged battery and B. new batteries do not come fully charged, need to be and therefore you did then please, disregard the post up "til now).

Why must the valves be "done"? Were they lapped? Do you just want to check? Is it a fresh motor? Had it been running? Is it a mystery motor? Has the timing been set? There are a lot of questions I have about the bike that would help focus the search,... but that can't be helped right now.

I do know, however, under/depending on certain circumstances with the valves, I would go no further 'til they were properly adjusted. You would just be spinning your wheels. If you are reasonably sure that they are within reasonable tolerances though then I would (battery fully charged);

Check compression if you can (would answer my question about the valve tolerances).

Check for spark on all 4 cylinders (which you did).

Check that the float bowls are truly stemming the flow of gas,

and that the gas is at the correct level in the bowls of 1 & 2,...

If that fails to solve the problem, then I would dive into the electronics, but I am going with my gut that says it is a carb problem.

It is difficult to tell without more info...

Hey all, does 3 turns out seem excessive?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you
Last edit: 31 Jul 2011 05:04 by Qdude.