• Page:

TOPIC:

coils relay upgrade questions 10 May 2006 19:08 #46508

• pat
  • pat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
I want to do the coils relay upgrade and i don't know much about electrical stuff.
About the wire passing trough the inline fuse : the guy who had the bike before me change the old fuse box with a little one and their is just one 30A fuse. It is connected with the white/red wire coming from the + of the battery and the white/red wire from the reg. rectifier on one end of the fuse box and a white wire from the other end that get lost in the bunch of wires tape together. What do i do with that?? How do i wire this up?

About the trigger : The wire that power the coils on my bike is the red one coming from the kill switch and the starter. This wire is plugged to a 2 type female connector. The second wire plugged to this connector is the one going to the ic ignitor. Right? So, following the instructions, i plug the red wire coming from the kill switch and starter to the #86 of the relay and i plug the wire coming of the #87 of the relay in the 2 type female connector where the red wire was connected. Right?

And then it's done (with the ground, of course).
Thanks a lot for beeing there to help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

coils relay upgrade questions 10 May 2006 19:32 #46515

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Foregt about the fuse you are refering to.
You want to run a new wire, power, from your starter solenoid to lug #36 on the relay. This wire will have a 10 amp fuse on it.
Ground wire from lug #85 to frame or ground circuit to the battery's negative.
There will be a red or red/yellow wire with a dual female plug that powers the two coils. Disconnect the coils. Run one wire from this dual female plug back to your relay and connect it to lug #86.
From lug #87 (my relay had two #87s) run a wire back to the coils, splitting it with a dual female plug (or whatever works for you) to feed the coils. If you have a second #87, use this to feed your IC Igniter, otherwise you can take it off your single #87 lug/wire.

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/05/10 22:34
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:

coils relay upgrade questions 11 May 2006 06:54 #46570

• pat
  • User
Ok. So i leave the 30A there, I don't touch it and i start a new wire from the starter selenoid to the relay.
And following the reply from rstnick, i have to feed the 2 coils without passing trough the resistor anymore, right? Cause you(rstNick) wrote that i have to split the wire coming from #87 in 2 with a dual female plug to feed the coils. That means that i plug the pink wires from the coils in the #87.
I'm i right?

Thanks a lot

coils relay upgrade questions 11 May 2006 12:22 #46632

• rstnick
  • User
You ask if you feed the coils without passing through the resistor. I'm not sure which resistor you are referring to, as my bike does not have one.
You do run straight from #87 to the coils. Your coil wires are Pink? You should have a Green and Black wire , one on each coil , that connects to the IC Igniter. The other wire on each coil, Red/Yellow in my case and Pink? in yours, connect to #87.
Rob
CANADA

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

coils relay upgrade questions 11 May 2006 16:04 #46675

• pat
  • User
Yeah, there is, on each of the coils, a pink wire that is plug to a dual female plug on another pink wire that goes to a resistor, and on this resistor there is the red wire that is plug to the red wire coming from the kill switch (you notice that i describe the thing backwards...). My wiring diagrams show me that it is a resistor, i guess i should not bypass it, right?

Anyway, i did finish to plug the whole thing, and i include the resistor, and everything works. But if someone tells me that i can forget the resistor to achieve a better result, well i will scrap it...
Still, i felt a difference while riding the bike, so i guess it's allright.

Thanks

coils relay upgrade questions 12 May 2006 06:20 #46771

• rstnick
  • User
Good to hear it runs well. I have no experience with the resistor, so am no help there.

Have fun and ride safely. B)
Rob
CANADA

2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Page: