Waterproofing my bike

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jul 2011 23:43 #464701 by mtbspeedfreak
Waterproofing my bike was created by mtbspeedfreak
Hey guys, if you knew you were going to be riding for 5 days straight in the rain, might you offer any suggestions related to the electrical system? Specifically any known waterproofing issues that I can address. I'm replacing the fusebox and reg/rec, as well as my battery (not directly related to waterproofing, just fyi).

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2011 23:56 #464703 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Waterproofing my bike
You don't have pod air filters do you? I know it's not related to the electrical system, but still important I think. ;)

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jul 2011 23:58 #464705 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Waterproofing my bike

Chaotic Reason wrote: You don't have pod air filters do you? I know it's not related to the electrical system, but still important I think. ;)

No, I enjoy riding my bike, not tinkering with the carbs. ;)

2000 ZRX 1100

More
24 Jul 2011 23:58 #464706 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Waterproofing my bike
Take along a can of electrical contact cleaner/preservative called "De-Oxit" available from Radio Shack Stores and other electronic supply places. www.deoxit.com is their website.

I use it on my bike and other devices around the house(cordless phone charging cradles,entertainment center patch cords)

I'd replace the sparkplug caps & maybe carry a spare set.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
25 Jul 2011 00:11 #464708 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Waterproofing my bike
Touché! ;) I like that.
I think MFolks is right, cleaning everything and taking spares for the plugs is a good idea. I would also double-check that your luggage is waterproof. It truly sucks to get out of the rain and to try to put something dry on, and not have anything dry. I always take along a few large trash bags to eith wrap around everything, or to pack things in and then pack them away. (Living in N. Ireland for 5 years teaches you a thing or two about the rain.)

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jul 2011 00:24 #464709 by mtbspeedfreak
I'll be bringing spares and then some- 8 extra plugs this time. 8,000 miles round trip- halfway the plugs get replaced no matter what they look like.

Attached is a picture of my MSD wires and boots- I am 110% pleased with these plug boots- they're made out of a soft silicone, fit really tightly and cover most of the plug, only leaving about a half inch of the white porcelain exposed.

I just scored an Anton rear trunk (combination side bags and top case) on ebay. This weekend I just finished shooting the inside with rubber undercoating to ensure the old fiberglass was watertight. I should be set on that front.

2000 ZRX 1100

Attachments:

More
25 Jul 2011 01:00 #464713 by MFolks
I'd get some silicone RTV compound(Room temperature Vulcanizing)and seal around the rectifier/regulator where the wires come out of the unit as some bikes have developed water intrusion there. Check the ignition coil conections too. Do you have aftermarket coils (Dyna,Accel)? What came from the factory had 1/4" push on connections, the after market coils have screws that tighten into a threaded boss in the body of the coil.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jul 2011 03:26 #464721 by mtbspeedfreak
Good call on the voltage regulator/rectifier sealing- all these years I never knew what RTV stands for, good to know!

I'm running the Dyna 3.0 ohm coils- next time I pull my tank off, I'll go over the coil connections again.

2000 ZRX 1100

More
25 Jul 2011 09:29 #464752 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Waterproofing my bike
I used to live in Ireland where it rains all the time and 5 or 6 days straight rain is not unusual. I remember using an aerosol spray which put a clear waterproof coating on the electrics and it would last a few months. I saw something like that in local autoparts store recently but cant remember the name.. Ignition coating spray ? Something like that. Wet electrics are no fun. Try putting a finger on a wet plug cap thats shorting out :laugh: In a pinch I have sprayed WD40 on coils and ignition wires to disperse the water. Short front mudguards are a curse in wet weather as they will throw water up under the gas tank.
Good look

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
25 Jul 2011 14:44 #464802 by MFolks
On your ignition coils, take the screws loose,remove the wires & check for corrosion, Spray a little De-Oxit on the teminals and then tighten them up.

After they have dried, take some clear RTV and cover the wire connections, this will do two things; a vibration resistance covering that also protects the terminations from moisture.

Another thing to do, is drill the drain bolt(s) for safety wiring. I use aircraft grade 0.032" SS safety wire on the oil filler cap,fiter cover bolt & drain plugs. You can drill from one side of the hex flat to the other, just enough to be able to get some safety wire through the hole & secure it to a bolt or cooling fin under the engine.

This way, nothing will vibrate loose concerning engine lubrication, and I can see by a quick glance on my bike if some one has messed with the oil(most street thugs are not in the habit of carrying around safety wire and tools to twist it).

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jul 2011 20:26 #465150 by mtbspeedfreak

MFolks wrote: Another thing to do, is drill the drain bolt(s) for safety wiring. I use aircraft grade 0.032" SS safety wire on the oil filler cap,fiter cover bolt & drain plugs. You can drill from one side of the hex flat to the other, just enough to be able to get some safety wire through the hole & secure it to a bolt or cooling fin under the engine.

This way, nothing will vibrate loose concerning engine lubrication, and I can see by a quick glance on my bike if some one has messed with the oil(most street thugs are not in the habit of carrying around safety wire and tools to twist it).

Good call with the safety wire. I'll be changing the oil in a week or two and will make sure to safety wire the sump plugs.

2000 ZRX 1100

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jul 2011 20:27 #465151 by mtbspeedfreak
Does anyone know where to get rubber o-ring material? I'm not looking for the O-Rings, just a length of round rubber that can be made into o-rings?

Also, weatherstripping- where can I get this at? Almost like a neoprene gasket- something that gives a little bit, to seal up nice and tight.

2000 ZRX 1100