77 KZ 650 B-1 Stock Points & Condensor OR ?

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
19 Jul 2011 14:25 - 19 Jul 2011 14:28 #463753 by Forrest
I have a low mileage 77 KZ650 B-1 with only about 3,500 miles on it. I bought it 2 years ago. It has the original points and condenser. Other than hitting the points with a little emory paper and visually checking them I have done absolutely nothing to them. I am looking to ride out to the Vintage Motorcycle Days in OH from IL, 360 miles this coming weekend. My vintage tuner has the points and condensor in stock. He is more concerned about the condensor and making sure the timing is correct than the points themselves. This switch is about $40 in parts. I will have him not only set the timing with the new parts but get an overall spiff/tune; carb synch. I rebuilt the carbs but have not synched properly. I have adjusted the cam chain tension. My bike is totally stock and seems a bit doggy low and mid range. My other street bike is a 2002 ZRX1200R so that may skew my perspective a bit. I just remember back in the day this type of bike having a bit more punch. Could it be the old condensor and need of a good tuning?

My next order of business is to consider replacing the points/condensor with a Dyna 2000 electronic set up with new coils. The reason I won't just pull the trigger is that they will take 5 days to get shipped from the west coast and I want to ride this weeeknd! PLUS, the DYNA 2000 is listing at $419.99! The coils will add $25 more on top of that. Getting the points/condensor installed, buys me some time to consider the $$ outlay for such an upgrade. I would like to know from the collective here if the electronic ignition conversion is worth the extra scratch or not. Please advise.

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Last edit: 19 Jul 2011 14:28 by Forrest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
19 Jul 2011 15:06 #463760 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic 77 KZ 650 B-1 Stock Points & Condensor OR ?
Update Thought I would give Z-1 Enterprised a shot. They tole me that I don't need the Dyna 2000 unless I am drag racing and such. Rob recommended the Dyna S for only $133! That is almost a $300 savings over the Dyna 2000. It should get to my tuners shop the same day I am having the bike tuned. This could work out. If not, then I will go with the Points & Condensor. Any and all thoughts are still welcome.

More
19 Jul 2011 15:21 #463766 by 650ed
I've been using points & condensers in my bike since it was new. I replace them about every 8,000 miles (I now have 50k+ miles on the bike). It is no big deal to do. If yours were pitted using emery cloth is no long term fix. If you or your mechanic have a timing light, dwell meter, and Kawasaki service manual you should be able to replace the points/condensers in 30 minutes or less. Again, this is no big deal to do; easier and cleaner than changing the oil & filter. Even without a timing light or dwell meter you can get them REALLY close using a multi-meter or other continuity tester. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
19 Jul 2011 16:58 #463790 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic 77 KZ 650 B-1 Stock Points & Condensor OR ?
Thanks Ed, That was my original intent was to simply replace the points and condensor. My tuner lit a fire under me about how he has felt added power on bikes that went electronic. So, now I went and ordered up the Dyna S from Z-1 today. $40 in parts now became $140. I don't put many miles on my KZ but would like to see an improvement in bottom end through mid range. We will see. Really do appreciate your feedback. Makes me wonder if I jumped the gun.