Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

getting very angry with this bike! 09 May 2006 17:51 #46219

• kawsakiman
  • kawsakiman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
ok, here we go. my 77 kz650 has the 3 phase charging system on it and i can't confirm if i'm charging the battery or not. (waiting for the manual from e-bay to arrive) i tried to take it out today for a putt and got about 15 feet before it shut down. it was electriclly dead. after about 10-15 seconds all the lights come back up and it started right back up. 10 more feet and dead again.went through this for a minute before i decided to pick it up and throw it in the trash.(just kidding)i already replaced the stator with a good one.(i think)dennis kirk is out of the convertor to make it a 2 phase.without a manual, how do i full field the stator to eliminate it as a problum?is there a way to bench test the rectifier or regulator?any other convertors for this system?can i use the 78-79 stator i have with these wires?or do i need to change the whole harness? help! the season in ny is very short and i'm missing it! thanks for reading this long post! forgot to add i already changed fuses over to blade type.this bike has had charging problums from the first day i got it. it was either under or overcharging to the point i boiled one battery.i burned one stator by misaligning it and fixed that problum and replaced everything.wires are not through the handlebars.whem i first got it, one of the white wires was not connected to the rectifier. could it possibly be burned from that? again, is there resistance values i can check with my fluke meter? it's funny i'm a auto tech and this bike's electric gremlins are killing me!

Post edited by: kawsakiman, at: 2006/05/10 08:46
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

getting very angry with this bike! 09 May 2006 21:07 #46275

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
Send a U2U message to loudhvx, he's the electrical guru hereabouts...
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

getting very angry with this bike! 09 May 2006 21:10 #46278

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I'm a little confused by what you said.
Are you saying the problem is that the bike shuts off, and then a short while later everything works again? If that's the case, then the charging system has nothing to do with it. I'd search for a bad connection somewhere, or possibly a bad switch.

If there is some problem with the charging system, then perhaps you could provide some details.
KD9JUR

getting very angry with this bike! 09 May 2006 22:29 #46305

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Go through the fuse box with a fine-toothed comb. Lookk for wires inside that look burned or melted. Clean up all of the connections in there, especially the main fuse.

That's my guess. I agree with Steell, it doesn't sound like charging system.

getting very angry with this bike! 09 May 2006 22:31 #46306

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
This thread explains how to check your charging system. It's for a KZ400, but your 77 KZ650 uses a very similar system.

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...ew/id,35581/catid,4/

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/05/10 01:31

getting very angry with this bike! 10 May 2006 05:25 #46330

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
do the wires still run thru the handle bars, I had a ton of problems until I pulled them out, fixed the bad spots,
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

getting very angry with this bike! 10 May 2006 08:03 #46362

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
For what it is worth, I had some electrical gremlins in my 750 last month. I found a loose push-in connector along the frame under the tank; solved all my problems. In hindsight, it was an intermitent problem, cutting in and out as the handlebars turned....Hindsight is always 20/20, right?

getting very angry with this bike! 10 May 2006 08:38 #46369

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Sounds like an intermittent short to me too. Check your killswitch and the connector to it underneath the tank. The plug on mine was shorted out a couple of months ago.
Check for burnmarks.
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

• Page: