I need ideas for fixing a nub

• 650 in Vegas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jul 2011 02:39 #460414 by 650 in Vegas
I need ideas for fixing a nub was created by 650 in Vegas
Ok, not sure if this is the right section to post this under but here goes...
I removed the right hand control switch to clean and lube the throttle cables and while they came off without a hitch, when I went to put them back together I noticed that the little nub that matched up to the hole in the handlebars and keeps the control from rotating when you roll on the throttle was broken off. I just spent a bundle on a Dyna-S and new coils so I am not excited about ordering a new control just because of a little nub but I need ideas on the best way to fix it. Here are my current ideas:
If I can find the broken nub then I could JB weld it back on.
If not, I can just JB Weld something else (trimmed down nail, maybe).

There are a few others but they get hard to explain. My main concern is twofold. One, I have never used JB Weld before and I don't know if it is strong enough to hold up to the rotational torque that the control gets put under. Two, even if it is strong enough, I don't know if I could make it clean enough to fit as snugly as it is meant to given the limited clearance of the inside of the control housing for fileing down any excess.

So, any suggestions, opinions, thoughts?

79 KZ650 C - The best $200 I have ever spent!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2011 02:50 #460415 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic I need ideas for fixing a nub
Maybe if the broken piece can be removed(vice grips) a small spring or roll pin can be used as a replacement.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
01 Jul 2011 03:25 #460417 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic I need ideas for fixing a nub
JB Weld should be fine, from my experiences with it. Do you have a Dremel? You could clean up the excess goop when it's 100% dried.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
01 Jul 2011 03:26 - 01 Jul 2011 03:27 #460418 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic I need ideas for fixing a nub
Another thought would be to add a very thin layer of material on the handlebar contact/clamp area of the switch. This would effectively reduce the diameter of the clamp and provide more clamping force while taking some of the torsional force off the nub. I've had good luck with very very thin mousepads on applications like this.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!
Last edit: 01 Jul 2011 03:27 by mtbspeedfreak.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 Jul 2011 09:11 #460434 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic I need ideas for fixing a nub
If you tighten your clamp on the switch housing, will it rotate at all? I think those Nubs help align each and every Handlebar switch in the same location. If you get a set of certain aftermarket bars they don't have the hole either. I think if it clamps up tight, then it is not needed. There is also a previous thread a few months ago on the same thing.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
01 Jul 2011 09:32 #460437 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic I need ideas for fixing a nub
Most non-stock replacement handlebars don't have the switch-positioning hole.

Whereby the fitment choice is either removing the nub :angry: (the unpreferred quick down-and-dirty ham-fisted butcher method, imo) or drilling a proper hole in the new handlebar :cheer: (the preferred according-to-Hoyle far better practice, imo).

Oftentimes, the nubless switch housing will sufficiently tighten onto the bars and remain serviceable, without slipping. And without requiring any sort of gluing or gasket material or other extraordinary measures.

Should of course thoroughly clean both the handlebar and the switch housing where the part surfaces meet.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Jul 2011 11:58 #460460 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic I need ideas for fixing a nub
If the switch will not hold tight you can wrap some tape around the handle bars. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
01 Jul 2011 13:04 - 01 Jul 2011 19:50 #460468 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic I need ideas for fixing a nub
It probably will not slip even without the nub, but if you find the control rotates because of the missing nub you could try the following: Tap the existing hole in the handlebars to accept a small set screw and install a set screw with 1/8 inch or so protruding from the handlebar. Drill a corresponding shallow hole in the control where the nub once was; make this hole large enough to accept the set screw without needing to screw it into the hole. Now when you clamp the control to the handlebar the set screw will engage the control and keep it from rotating. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 01 Jul 2011 19:50 by 650ed.

• 650 in Vegas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jul 2011 19:46 #460538 by 650 in Vegas
Replied by 650 in Vegas on topic I need ideas for fixing a nub
Excellent suggestions guys. This is why I love this site! I ended up just tightening the crud out of the housing and I can't get it to move. I think I will give it a try for the next couple of weeks and see if it stays tight enough. Thanks for all of the input and I will let everyone know how the Dyna-s install goes this next week.

79 KZ650 C - The best $200 I have ever spent!