bike shut off while riding

More
26 Jun 2011 02:21 #459390 by Giannini
bike shut off while riding was created by Giannini
Im new to forum and new to a kz750.. I was riding it yesterday and while coming to a stop it died. It died as if I had turned the key off. I couldn't get it to turn back on at all. I had to go get my truck and a friend and load it up and bring it back home. I have checked the wiring and boy what a mess. I have checked continuity on most of the wires I can identify but I am at a loss. Is there anybody that can help please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2011 02:42 #459391 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic bike shut off while riding
Recharge the battery if possible, then start the bike up. Get a multimeter and check the voltage at the battery.

To do so, follow these steps; put the meter on VDC(Volts,Direct Current) range of 20. Place the RED probe on the Positive(+) battery post, with the BLACK probe on the Negative post.

If the charging system is working, you should see no more than 14.5 volts, if a lot less, it could be the alternator has some bad wiring in the stator, or the rectifier/regulator has problems.

www.electrosport.com has a good troubleshooting page with a step by step check to determine what's not working.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Giannini

More
26 Jun 2011 09:52 #459414 by tito
Replied by tito on topic bike shut off while riding
Did you check fuses?
It happened to me too and my case was main fuse. The main fuse got too hot and metal got melted.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
26 Jun 2011 11:13 #459435 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic bike shut off while riding
I too would check fuses and dont just pull them out and look at them.They can fail at the base and the link will still look good.Good winter project would be to replace the fuse box with a newer one that uses auto style blade fuses.bj

More
26 Jun 2011 16:08 #459487 by MFolks
Fuse And Fuse Holder Designations

1. The older Kawasaki’s use a glass tubed fuse with the designation of AGX 1” long. Most good auto parts stores can get them for you. They are ¼” in diameter.

2. The more common AGC is 1 ¼” long and may not fit the smaller fuse clips. Again, ¼” in diameter.

3. To clean and polish the fuse clips, I use a cotton swab(Q- Tip) and some Brasso metal cleaner or Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. I suppose any good metal polish would work.

4. These fuses can fail internally but look good, only by removing them from the clip and electrically continuity checking with either a self powered test light, or a multimeter set on OHMS can they be determined to be in good shape.

5. A physical inspection of the metal end caps for tightness will tell you if the fuse is serviceable.

6. Most modern motorcycles are now using the automobile “Blade” style fuse with the designation of ATC or ATO.

7. The reduced sized “Mini” Blade style fuse holder uses the ATM size of fuses.

8. If the fuse and fuse holder overheat, it could soften or anneal the grip of the clip, it might require squeezing the clip to restore the tightness.
9. A list of where to purchase “Blade” style fuses and holders:

www.waytekwire.com order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/...20%20%20%208%20FUSE/

www.rallylights.com www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=765

www.delcity.net/store/6!way-fuse-blocks/p_10822.a_1

10. A source for the glass tubed AGX fuses:
www.boatownerswarehouse.com/browse.cfm/2,4986.html

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
26 Jun 2011 22:33 #459566 by JR
Replied by JR on topic bike shut off while riding
Twice I had to push the bike home - not far - because of electrical failure.... but that 750 is darned heavy. Once I traced the issue to a short inside the headlight shell which was blowing fuses and once a plastic connector between the kill switch and the coils disintegrated cutting off voltage to the coils.

Like the guys said check the fuses and check the connections to the battery and after that go through everything slowly using a digital multimeter

Is all electrical dead - lights, blinkers etc ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
26 Jun 2011 22:40 #459567 by MFolks
Another possibilty is the ignition switch is starting to fail internally. Some can be dis-assembled, others, not. I believe Z1 can get you a new ignition switch for a lot less than what the dealer wants.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
27 Jun 2011 23:22 #459852 by Giannini
Replied by Giannini on topic bike shut off while riding
Totally electricaly dead. I have checked the fuses a million times. Cleaned the contacts twice I have looked at almost evey wire. Is there anyother fuses besides the 3 in the box? Im frusterated. The battery shows 13 volts when fully charged

More
27 Jun 2011 23:52 #459857 by MFolks
Most older Kawasaki's can have up to 5 fuses, most are in small plastic fuse holders near the battery, or around the air filter housing. Some are a white translucent color, others are a black color.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
28 Jun 2011 00:26 #459873 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic bike shut off while riding

Giannini wrote: Im new to forum and new to a kz750.. I was riding it yesterday and while coming to a stop it died. It died as if I had turned the key off. I couldn't get it to turn back on at all. I had to go get my truck and a friend and load it up and bring it back home. I have checked the wiring and boy what a mess. I have checked continuity on most of the wires I can identify but I am at a loss. Is there anybody that can help please

Hello, Giannini, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

There's likely a wiring diagram for your bike in the FILEBASE section (look at the top right of your screen, and click on FILEBASE.)

Go to the applicable year, then the model, and look for a down-loadable wiring diagram.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Jul 2011 10:39 #460624 by Giannini
Replied by Giannini on topic bike shut off while riding
:dry: it was the main fuse, Thank you guys