Wiring ONLY the ignition coiil

More
22 Jun 2011 18:37 #458775 by wgrothman
Wiring ONLY the ignition coiil was created by wgrothman
Hello all,

I am ready to fire up my bike for the first time, however, the wiring is a complete disaster. Before I do a proper wiring job (or buy a new harness) I want to hear the bike run to make sure there are no major issues I am not aware of.

So, can someone explain to me how to wire up JUST the ignition coil. I dont care about switches, lights, horn, kill switch, electric starter, etc. ALL I need is to kick the bike over and hear it start. It is a KZ650 B1 (or maybe B2, hopefully it does not matter).

Thanks.
G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2011 22:07 #458798 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Wiring ONLY the ignition coiil

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
22 Jun 2011 22:27 #458803 by wgrothman
Replied by wgrothman on topic Wiring ONLY the ignition coiil
So, to be clear.

The positive battery terminal connects directly to the positive lead of the coil. (I am running twin KZ750 so its 1 coil).

The negative battery terminal connects to the frame.

The negative terminal of the coil connects to the points and the points connect to the groud (frame).

Is this correct?

More
22 Jun 2011 22:34 #458805 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Wiring ONLY the ignition coiil

wgrothman wrote: So, to be clear.

The positive battery terminal connects directly to the positive lead of the coil. (I am running twin KZ750 so its 1 coil).

The negative battery terminal connects to the frame.

The negative terminal of the coil connects to the points and the points connect to the groud (frame).

Is this correct?

Is this correct? Yes.

Don't leave it hooked up like this unless the engine is running or while you're attempting to start the engine. It's same as leaving an ignition switch in the ON position.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
23 Jun 2011 13:01 #458928 by wgrothman
Replied by wgrothman on topic Wiring ONLY the ignition coiil
Great. Thanks.

One additial question. How do I ground the points. Is there a wire I connect directly to the frame or is it done simply by the fact that the points are touching the engine already?

The only reason I am askig is because I don't have the bike in frot of me and I will most likely have to describe the process over the phone to a friend.

Thanks,
Adam