Ignition coils, weird problem 77'K650

More
20 Jun 2011 17:17 #458371 by uncledirt
Replied by uncledirt on topic Ignition coils, weird problem 77'K650
First off, the Dyna has been fine and I installed that last summer. Shouldn't be an issue. To the best of memory, at no time has the bike been turned over w/o plugs being at the end of all coil wires. All plugs have been seated in the engine at all times I turned the bike over. Once I get a volt meter I will recheck the dyna to see if it has a problem. I'm trying to think now, that maybe it could be the dyna, but I haven't done anything to it electrically that would be strange or harmful. The battery was disconnected when i installed the new coils as well. I would need a spec on how to best check the dyna once I get a meter, don't have any way of knowing that right off, and my old instructions were for install, and didn't have anything else as far as safety or testing procedures, so I tossed them. Should have studied EE instead of Civil, say that all the time these days. Thanks man.

77 KZ650 'C'

Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't they'd be married too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2011 19:50 - 21 Jun 2011 19:51 #458613 by endo
Replied by endo on topic Ignition coils, weird problem 77'K650
I just bought my Dyna S DS2-2 today. It came with a sheet on "Dyna S Ignition System Testing"---

It's identical to this link
www.mpsracing.com/instructions/Dynatek/DynaS_Testing.pdf

If I have to explain, you won't understand.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2011 19:51 by endo.

More
21 Jun 2011 22:00 #458630 by uncledirt
Wow thx endo, certainly didn't recieve that in the package. Will save me a ton of time and headaches.

77 KZ650 'C'

Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't they'd be married too.

More
04 Jul 2011 20:35 - 04 Jul 2011 22:00 #461044 by uncledirt
q

77 KZ650 'C'

Last edit: 04 Jul 2011 22:00 by uncledirt. Reason: repeat

More
04 Jul 2011 21:31 #461049 by uncledirt
Welp, bought a voltmeter and got the coil readings. 4.5 Ohms and 25.5 kohms for both, so we're good there. Then I went to the coils and harness connections. The red/yellow dual connector has 12v, and the green has 12v. Now, w/o getting my panties into a bunch just yet, the red yellow does provide power to both coils because it's connected to both black wires to both coils. For the right side connector, the black wire is dead, and the red wire provided with the dyna is dead. I was worried there on the red. So I went to the dyna itself and tried to get some readings. Nothing. But, I don't know precisely what I'm looking for there and came back here to find some dyna forums. Not too much there dealing with this issue. Need some help making a conclusion. What
's the best way to satisfy a test at the dyna with a voltmeter? Is the black dead regardless because that side is getting it's power from the r/yellow dual wire anyways. lil confused. Thanks in advance gentlemen. And thanks to the guys in the past answers.

77 KZ650 'C'

More
05 Jul 2011 01:54 #461093 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Ignition coils, weird problem 77'K650

uncledirt wrote: ...the red wire provided with the dyna is dead....

Unlike points, Dyna-S requires battery++ voltage.
The red wire splices into a harness wire or hooks to an accessory connector having switched battery voltage, and feeds into the Dyna-S modules.
The red wire powering the Dyna-S is not connected to either coil.

Each coil has two primary terminals, one of which receives battery++ voltage, usually from another red wire or a red/yellow wire.
The other terminal is wired to a Dyna-S module that (like points) repeatedly grounds and ungrounds the coil's primary winding.

The 9 o'clock Dyna-S module connects to whichever coil fires the two outside spark plug wires #1 and #4.

The 3 o'clock Dyna-S module connects to whichever coil fires the two inside spark plug wires #2 and #3.

Would assure each coil receiving battery++ voltage at terminal supplied by red or red/yellow wire.

Would assure switched battery voltage being supplied to Dyna-S via a red wire that isn't connected to either coil.

Would assure that the 9 o'clock Dyna-S module connects to whichever coil fires the two outside spark plug wires #1 and #4.

Would assure that the 3 o'clock Dyna-S module connects to whichever coil fires the two inside spark plug wires #2 and #3.

Don't worry about whether or not there's any voltage on the wire between the coil and Dyna-S.

Good Fortune!:)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Jul 2011 10:08 #461109 by uncledirt
Wow, thanks for the explanation, I knew it was similar to points but those damn plans really never explain the full execution behind the science of their own freakin product. Ok, I'm gonna turn her over today after I clean some stuff up. So, before I forget, it's basically most important to have the Dyna suplied (red) wire clamped onto a (+) wire that leads to any coil, right or left doesn't matter just as long as it's piggy backed onto a positive supply wire? The red yellow connector (ignition) connects both the black wires to both new coils, and I have it so I piggy back the red onto one of these. Sorry, it's early, hung over and haven't had my head in this for a month. Happy 4th Patton and thanks for running a cool site.

77 KZ650 'C'

More
05 Jul 2011 10:49 #461122 by Patton

uncledirt wrote: ...have the Dyna suplied (red) wire clamped onto a (+) wire that leads to any coil, right or left doesn't matter just as long as it's piggy backed onto a positive supply wire? The red yellow connector (ignition) connects both the black wires to both new coils, and I have it so I piggy back the red onto one of these....

Yes, the Dyna supplied (red) wire may be spliced into either red/yellow wire, because the red/yellow wire carries switched voltage (i.e., battery++ voltage when the ignition switch is in the ON position).

Some bikes have an extra unused terminal connector hanging about somewhere that might sometimes be used as a switched voltage source for the Dyna supplied (red) wire, and thereby eliminate the need for splicing or tapping into a harness wire such as the red/yellow wire feeding the coils or either coil.

Some owners prefer a solder splice connection, instead of using the plastic squeeze connector supplied by Dyna for this purpose.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Jul 2011 11:32 #461130 by uncledirt
YES! Thanks Patton, great help. As usual, it's the little things in life that make things hard or easy. I made an educated guess and was right, but Dynatek would spend less than a cent printing that out in the instructions. We'll see here today if I can resurect the old girl. Gotta get some gas. Now I have to hope Loud isn't right about a high voltage short occuring on install and ordering another coil. Thanks man.

77 KZ650 'C'

More
07 Jul 2011 00:39 - 07 Jul 2011 00:42 #461461 by Patton

uncledirt wrote:

Attachment dynaasis.png not found

Here's how I have my dyna right now (hopefully the pic diagram loaded right). Shouldn't the splice (red wire from dyna) be before where the red/yellow couples into the 2 blacks? Thanks.

The splice as drawn is just fine to supply switched voltage to the Dyna-S modules located under the points cover, and the splice at such location should not itself contribute to any continuing issues regarding combustion and/or ignition.

For example, if the engine isn't firing on cylinders #2 and #3, any number of maladies might be responsible, but it won't be due to where the red wire is spliced as shown in the drawing.

Be sure the ignition coil with green wire has its two high tension wires connected to the two inside spark plugs #2 and #3.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Jul 2011 00:42 by Patton.