1978 KZ650 problems

More
17 Jun 2011 01:00 #457726 by k0ba1t
1978 KZ650 problems was created by k0ba1t
so i got my new starter installed, new battery filled and charged, i went to install it, and shortly after connecting the negative terminal, the positive starts to smoke and melt. I have the polarity correct.

I was told i may have a short or something, fuses are good. there is one wire that i think may be trouble, but i need some more experienced opinions.

k0

1978 kz650c matte black. Current project.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2011 17:50 #457827 by k0ba1t
Replied by k0ba1t on topic 1978 KZ650 problems
ok so no one has any insight? ><

More
17 Jun 2011 18:30 #457832 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 1978 KZ650 problems
Try this method of troubleshooting:

The Dreaded Shorting/Intermittent Electrical Problem!

Here is the most basic method I know(Taken from www.kzrider.com by member Patton)

1. Charge your battery and have it load tested if you can. The floating ball hydrometer can be used to check the specific gravity of the charged cells in the battery.

2. Disconnect the Black lead from the (-) Battery terminal... or Red from the (+) Battery terminal, it does not matter which one. Just 1, not both!

3. Connect one of the following test setups in series with the Battery terminal and lead:
3.1 A 12 V light bulb,
3.2 A 12 V test light,
3.3 A 12 V test buzzer or,
3.4 A 12 V horn... you get the idea.

4. With the Ignition Switch OFF, go through your harness and wiggle the wires while looking/listening for the test setup to go on/start buzzing.

5.With the Ignition Switch ON, repeat the test except this time the looking/listening for the test setup to go off/stop buzzing.

6. Be prepared to open the Ignition switch and check/test for solder joint failure and or circuit board micro breaks (don't ask how I know this ).

7. Be prepared to pull the wires out of the Head Light to test for failures at or near the grommet.

8. Be prepared to open the harness at or near the Steering Neck for failures. This is where wires tend to exhibit fatigue due to repetitive movement.

9. Be prepared to open the left and right switch gear to search for rust and or broken parts. CAUTION: watch out for flying springs, ball bearings and stuff. Do indoors on White sheet (again don't ask ).

10. Be prepared to follow the heavy gauge wire from the Starter Solenoid (Relay) to the starter for bare wire exposure. Especially near bends and grommets.

11. If you can reproduce the fault symptom your are pretty much home free. Be prepare to find and repair/replace any internal wire breaks, insulation break downs, exposed wires, rubber grommet failures, etc. Often, shrink tubing will solve the problem temporarily until something better can be done.

12. I use a very good electrical contact cleaner/preservative called De-oxit made by Caig Labs in San Diego Ca. Their website is www.deoxit.com It can be purchased at Radio Shack and any other electronic supply store. I use it on all of my motorcycle’s electrical connectors , in my home entertainment center’s stereo patch cords and cordless phones charging cradles.

Verify that fron the Negative(-)battery post/terminal, a heavy gauge cable/wire goes to an engine mounting bolt. From the Positive(+) post/terminal, another cable/wire goes to the starter solenoid, from it a similar cable/ wire goes to the starter motor.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Jun 2011 00:20 #457928 by k0ba1t
if i connect the battery in any way, then the wires start to smoke. so i wouldnt be able to do this. Unless i am not understanding how to hook it up. if i am thinking correctly, it is + lead >> test item >> + terminal, correct?

k0

More
18 Jun 2011 01:07 #457939 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic 1978 KZ650 problems

k0ba1t wrote: if i connect the battery in any way, then the wires start to smoke. so i wouldnt be able to do this. Unless i am not understanding how to hook it up. if i am thinking correctly, it is + lead >> test item >> + terminal, correct?

k0

You put the Bulb,test light,buzzer,horn (let us call this the Load) in between the cable and post, it finishes the circuit. When you wiggle wires and find the short the bulb goes off,buzzer stops, horn stops, (load goes away) you get the idea. Key has to be off since it happens with nothing on.

Kenny

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)

More
18 Jun 2011 01:15 #457941 by k0ba1t
but again, if i complete the circuit, then the wires heat up and melt. This all happens with the key in out or in the on position. i am currently tracing wire and looking for signs of trouble. it looks like the fault is in between the ignition and the positive lead, because the only wires that smoke are the ones in the vReg area.

k0

More
24 Jun 2011 17:17 #459175 by k0ba1t
okayyyy so since that seems to be a bit complicated for people, where are some common test points and ohm resistances to test for? im prolly gonna break into my harness today where i think the problem is, but im still needing help..

k0

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Jun 2011 21:00 #459204 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 1978 KZ650 problems
I saw where you said "Polarity is correct". Is this the actual battery, or just going by wire color installation? The battery is not charged reverse polarity?
If that checks out, unplug the red/white wire from battery + to Regulator/ Rectifier. Try it again, if still heating pull the fuses, starting with the Main fuse. Try again, etc. If you see a big spark when you touch the cable to the post there is a short or something turned on. If something is on, it shouldn't heat up wires. Only a short should be able to do that. You may have a defective R/R, or maybe you pinched a wire when changing the battery. Any wire with Black/ yellow should be -, take a picture and post it. Some times that helps show an incorrect hookup.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
24 Jun 2011 22:02 #459212 by k0ba1t
ok i will try that. i was also just looking into getting a new harness because i see burn and melting inside the main cluster of wires which cannot be good. I charged the battery correct and the wires are the correct ones.

I probably created this problem when i reverse installed the battery the first time. so a new harness looks the way to go.. is an '81 harness the same?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
25 Jun 2011 21:17 #459355 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 1978 KZ650 problems
I don't know what you have melted there, have you cut the insulation back to see the damage?
If you are asking if a 81 harness is the same as a 78, you would be very lucky to find a harness that is the same with 4 years between. Also more info of each would be needed. Best to find out whats burned/ melted and then decide if its fixable or a new harness would be best. Most of the wiring terminals can be bought new, and wires can be replaced.
Ebay is probably the best place for a harness, but a member here may have one as well. Maybe post a wanted to buy here and see if anyone can help out.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
11 Jul 2011 15:51 #462276 by k0ba1t
woah sorry its been a while lol. i got a job and have been spending most of my time in seattle. im gonn apull the main harness today where i think the problem is and see if i can fine the fault. if so i should have her running by tonight. if not, then idek what to do lol.

More
09 Aug 2011 20:17 #468078 by k0ba1t
Ok so I finally found the time and motivation to attempt to fix my bike. I fixed the faults, installed the battery, heard a sizzling sound, my voltage regulator started to spew black fluid, then proceeded to blow up in a puff of the dreaded purple smoke. I will need a new one.

My question now is what could have been the cause of this? Bad ground?