electrical tach

• jonnybravo
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
More
16 Jun 2011 02:25 #457570 by jonnybravo
electrical tach was created by jonnybravo
figured out some mini gauges i had lying around might work on my Z1, the speedo is perfect but the tach is electrical, the wiring diagram that came with it, is for a one coil bike, can this be made to work with mine ???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2011 02:45 #457572 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic electrical tach
It should be able to, Some of the 1980's Kz's and the later GPz's had electrical tach's driven off of the ignition coils. Looking at the wiring diagram on my 1982 GPz 1100 B2 model, I see the electrical tach was driven by the Black wire from the left ignition coil with the Black with Yellow stripe as the ground circuit.

I'd make up a harness and try it...

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
16 Jun 2011 02:51 #457574 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic electrical tach

jonnybravo wrote: figured out some mini gauges i had lying around might work on my Z1, the speedo is perfect but the tach is electrical, the wiring diagram that came with it, is for a one coil bike, can this be made to work with mine ???

Depends on the one-coil bike. If that one-coil bike fires the coil every crank revolution (like the KZ twins), then it will work exactly the same on your bike. You would just wire it to one of your coils.

If that one-coil bike is firing the coil off the camshaft, that is, getting one fire every two revolutions, then the tach will read double what your crank is actually turning when you connect it to your bike.

• jonnybravo
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
More
16 Jun 2011 03:19 - 16 Jun 2011 03:23 #457577 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic electrical tach
its an aftermarket tach I was using on an old sportster, so i think it might not work, if not I may not run a tach, dont really need it

thanx guys for the input ;)
Last edit: 16 Jun 2011 03:23 by jonnybravo.