changing light bulbs in speedometer.KZ900, '76

More
15 Jun 2011 03:47 #457365 by readtaintor
I have a '76 Kawasaki KZ900 bike. need to replace light bulbs in speedometer but having problems removing the odometer setting knob so the outside cover can be removed. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2011 19:00 #457465 by GPz550D1
Replied by GPz550D1 on topic changing light bulbs in speedometer.KZ900, '76
I think you can remove the speedometer from its mounting bracket and then take out the bulbs from the back side. Believe there is no need to remove the reset knob, although I have never had owned a '76 KZ900.

1981 KZ550-D1

More
15 Jun 2011 19:45 - 15 Jun 2011 19:45 #457481 by Archiddeon
Replied by Archiddeon on topic changing light bulbs in speedometer.KZ900, '76
Not sure how much they differ, but I've completely disassembled the instrument panel of my '83 GPz550. The black plastic back panel comes off first, then the front panel (black plastic and glass/plexiglas). You should be faced with the naked speedo and tach mounted in some internal plastic structure (mine is white).

Now on the back of that white internal structure are the lighting sockets. On my bike they are light grey plastic plugs. They appear to have originally been glued in, but the glue has lost it's stick with age and the plugs can be GENTLY pulled backward out of the housing, bulb and all.

I went a few steps further and removed the various screws and cables from the back of the panel, allowing me to take the speedo and tach out of the front of the housing (the odometer was built into the speedo assembly). This reveals the lights from the front and the bulbs can simply be pulled out and replaced. The stock lights in my panel are Stanley 158's ... which are wedge types. The light they provide is quite pitiful, so I'm replacing them with wide angle LED's ( www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/in...Fspecs%2FWLED-x5.htm )

I have photos of my panel's disassembly if that'd help.

1983 GPz 550
1985 Honda CH150 Scooter
1995 Suzuki GS500E
Last edit: 15 Jun 2011 19:45 by Archiddeon.

More
15 Jun 2011 21:34 #457505 by Patton

readtaintor wrote: I have a '76 Kawasaki KZ900 bike. need to replace light bulbs in speedometer but having problems removing the odometer setting knob so the outside cover can be removed. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Hello, readtaintor, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

The knob should remain in place when removing the cover.
Gentle manipulation of the cover while removing and replacing allows the cover to slide over the knob.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD