Plugs burning different in pairs

More
10 Jun 2011 01:34 - 10 Jun 2011 02:45 #456455 by calvin17d
Plugs burning different in pairs was created by calvin17d
I had a thread rolling that helped though most of my carb tuning but I think that the root of most of my problems could possibly be related to an electrical issue.

Here it goes:

I have timed, sync'd, valve clearances, cleaned, fuel lines, filters, float levels, idle mixture, spark inspection etc. It all looks good. The bike runs well but has a little hesitation and plugs 1&4 have remained rich throughout rejettings, float adjustments, etc.

Needle clips positions and both jets and needle sizes have been verified as well as idle/mixture screw (1-3/8).

I have been checking the plugs after each ride. Plugs 2&3 are identical and ideal in color while 1&4 are also identical however less than ideal.

Knowing that these cylinders are paired similarly on the separate coils I have drawn the conclusion that it is related to the ignition system.

I have a manual that suggests the checks, but am not completely familar with terminology regarding primary and secondary windings of coils.

Can someone suggest a good routine of checks that would include the coils, ig. module, and any other components that may be suspect?

1976 Kz900 A4
Last edit: 10 Jun 2011 02:45 by calvin17d.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2011 14:11 #456535 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Plugs burning different in pairs
Ignition Coil Primary And Secondary Wiring

Ignition coils on the 80’s Kz1000,Kz1100’s and Gpz1100’s are wired the same, that is as you sit on the bike, the LEFT ignition coil primary(small wires) are two wires, RED and BLACK. The secondary (or sparkplug wires) go to #1 and #4 sparkplugs(your primary wiring may be different).

The cylinders are numbered left to right as you sit on the seat; #1,#2,#3, and #4.

For the RIGHT ignition coil, the primary wires, again are two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary going to #2 and #3.

The RED wire gets it’s voltage from the run/stop switch on the right handlebar switch pod.

The BLACK and GREEN wires connect to the IC Igniter(if the bike has the Kawasaki supplied electronic ignition) it actually gives the coils their grounds to fire the sparkplugs.

Primary(small wires) side of the coils will read between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms.

Secondary(sparkplug wire ports)side of the coil will read between 10.4K to 15.6K ohms. These ports are wired together, so it makes no difference which is used, as long as the correct coil to sparkplug configuration is followed.

The sparkplug caps should read 5K OHMS, any higher, or a reading of infinity means new caps should be ordered.

To stress the ignition coils, take a hair dryer, heat the coils and see if the ohm readings change from cold to hot . If they do, it’s time to buy new coils.
Keep in mind, the wiring is reversed for the 550’s 650‘s and 750‘s, that is the RIGHT coil primary will be two wires, RED and BLACK with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #1 and #4.

The LEFT coils primary wiring would be again two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #2 and #3.

These engines have what is known as a “Wasted Spark” that is, a sparkplug will fire during an exhaust stroke. It does no damage and many other motorcycle engines have this design.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.