Blew Main Fuse

More
01 Jun 2011 09:24 #454718 by Jay650
Blew Main Fuse was created by Jay650
okay so i was driving along yesterday, and my bike just shut down, no power at all to anything. pulled over and sat there for a minute trying to figure out what had just happen. checked fuse box, and found the main fuse was blown. luckily there was a hardware store not far from there, walked up got a couple fuses and put on in, bike started right back up and i ran it the rest of the day, put a little over 100 miles on it. any ideas on what could have caused this. wires look to be okay, could it possibly have just been an old fuse? the bike is an 81 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 Jun 2011 09:48 #454724 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Blew Main Fuse
Heat/ resistance from dirty/ loose fuse clips. Dirty connections in harness connectors, high resistance. Possibly an intermittent short where a wire has rubbed through.
Or just an old fuse that was weakened from years of service.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
01 Jun 2011 15:27 #454795 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Blew Main Fuse
I replace my glass tubed fuses every year as current surges,& vibration can quickly cause these fuses to fail. More than a few riders have changed to the newer car type fuses with the blade style fuse.

Fuse And Fuse Holder Designations

1. The older Kawasaki’s use a glass tubed fuse with the designation of AGX 1” long. Most good auto parts stores can get them for you. They are ¼” in diameter.

2. The more common AGC is 1 ¼” long and may not fit the smaller fuse clips. Again, ¼” in diameter.

3. To clean and polish the fuse clips, I use a cotton swab(Q- Tip) and some Brasso metal cleaner or Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. I suppose any good metal polish would work.

4. These fuses can fail internally but look good, only by removing them from the clip and electrically continuity checking with either a self powered test light, or a multimeter set on OHMS can they be determined to be in good shape.

5. A physical inspection of the metal end caps for tightness will tell you if the fuse is serviceable.

6. Most modern motorcycles are now using the automobile “Blade” style fuse with the designation of ATC or ATO.

7. The reduced sized “Mini” Blade style fuse holder uses the ATM size of fuses.

8. If the fuse and fuse holder overheat, it could soften or anneal the grip of the clip, it might require squeezing the clip to restore the tightness.
9. A list of where to purchase “Blade” style fuses and holders:

www.waytekwire.com order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/...20%20%20%208%20FUSE/

www.rallylights.com www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=765

www.delcity.net/store/6!way-fuse-blocks/p_10822.a_1

10. A source for the glass tubed AGX fuses:
www.boatownerswarehouse.com/browse.cfm/2,4986.html

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)