Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Eating speedo cables? 05 May 2006 21:43 #45428

• KitNYC
  • KitNYC's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I was boppin' around the neighborhood on the 400 a week or 2 back, & I noticed that I was probably going a little fast for local streets. I also noticed the 4500 RPM in 4th gear corresponded to 0 MPH on the speedo. Cool, no worries then, I can't be speeding. :evil: :P

Okay, seriously, I went through 2 speedo cables on the 440 & I'm on #3 on the Triumph, so I know what to look for. Pulled off the cable when I got home & sure enough, it was broken about 3" up from the wheel end. "No problem", I says to myself, "thanks to Wireman's generosity, I can just dip into the big-box-o-parts & probably find one." Sure enough, there's a speedo cable in there, & it looks good. I clean it up, grease the inner cable, & install it. All is good.

So, I'm boppin' around the neighborhood on the 400 today, wondering if the truck in front of me is moving at double-digit speed or not. I glance down at the speedo, & it says we're not moving at all. About 10 miles on the odo since I swapped cables.

So I know the "new" cable I put on was 32 years old, but it looked in good shape & I did clean & lube it well. It seems to me that it should have lasted more than 10 miles, & it seems a bit suspicious that it broke so soon after the other one. Is there anything I should look for before I feed this bike another cable?

Thanks,
-Kit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Eating speedo cables? 06 May 2006 04:54 #45452

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
What does the busted cable ends look like? Has it been cut through? Worn through or twisted? I usually get cables broken at the ends. Also is it correctly routed. allowing the fork to turn and travel up and down without stretching or crimping the sheathing of the cable?

Eating speedo cables? 06 May 2006 16:26 #45549

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
lube the bushing at the speedo head...not too much!!! a drop or two will do here...steve
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

Eating speedo cables? 08 May 2006 09:33 #45886

• KitNYC
  • User
Thanks, y'all.

AGM: I tossed the first busted cable, & I haven't had a chance to pull the second yet. I'll see if I can figure out how it broke when I pull it off.

Fixer: I have to swap the front wheel out, so I'll drip a little lube on the speedo bushing when I do that.

Thanks,
-Kit

Eating speedo cables? 08 May 2006 15:15 #45967

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
kit...i mean the bushing at the gauge itself not at the wheel!!! two drops of oil no more or youll be seeing it on your dial face...steve
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

Eating speedo cables? 08 May 2006 18:18 #46012

• KitNYC
  • User
Oops! :ohmy: Thanks for clearing that up!

-Kit

• Page: