wiring starter switch help!

More
26 May 2011 22:51 #453784 by khawk912
wiring starter switch help! was created by khawk912
whats up guys just built my first bike 79 kz400 hardtailed it. heres my question. i completely rewired the bike but kickstarting it is getting old i want to put a hidden switch to use. how do i wire it? i left the starter silinoid on do i just use the two wires off that? yellow/red and black?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2011 17:43 #453867 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic wiring starter switch help!
The starter solenoid has four connections: the red/yellow, the black and two lug nuts.

The red/yellow and black are the trigger wires, the lug nuts are the connection between battery and starter motor.

Counterintuitive as it may seem the red/yellow should connect to ground/frame, the black wire should connect to battery + through your starter switch.

Then run a heavy gauge wire (11 - 9 AWG) from battery + to one lug nut, then another wire of the same gauge from the other lug nut to the starter motor.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
27 May 2011 18:52 #453873 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic wiring starter switch help!
If possible, use a spring loaded toggle switch(the kind you have to hold to make the circuit work) otherwise the starter will crank as long as the circuit is energized. Don't try to use a small toggle switch as the contacts will quickly burn out. Find one that's rated for at least 10 amps.

Wire it so it can only be used when the ignition switch is on.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
27 May 2011 23:31 #453915 by khawk912
Replied by khawk912 on topic wiring starter switch help!
how would i go about doing that? i have the two wires off the silinoid just taped off im thinking the black wire off the silinoid to one end of the switch and the red yellow to the ground?