Square one!

More
26 May 2011 18:03 #453726 by Wolfpaak
Square one! was created by Wolfpaak
Hello fellas! I am working on a 1980 KZ 1000 classic with EFI. This is my Brother In Laws "new" bike. The electrics that are/were under the seat and side covers are disconnected and the fuel system, up to the fuel rail, has been taken out and apart. I have a clymers manual and it has been helpful on getting the parts back in so far.
I have a new battery and its FULLY charged but when I put it in and tried to turn over the motor nothing happend. All lights work, horn too. But I couldn't here the fuel pump, pump, and the starter didn't even wimper.
Here is my FIRST question. Does EVERYTHING have to be hooked up,ie electtrics and fuel system for the motor to turn over,(complete circuts).
This is my first attempt at fixing an EFI anything! I work on OLD snowmobiles and most any small engine. But they are all CARBS.
Any starting point you can give will be appreciated!
Thanks!
LAter,
Kenny

1980 KZ 1000 Classic EFI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2011 19:06 #453734 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Square one!
If the fuel pump was rum without gas it is probably fried.

Cluth safety switch. Pull the clutch in then hit the starter. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
26 May 2011 19:22 #453739 by Wolfpaak
Replied by Wolfpaak on topic Square one!
OHHHH the simple things in life! My bike doesn't have that feature!!!Rolls over fine! Thanks Roy!
Fuel pump still not working. Do they kind of click when the key is turned "ON"? I have a KLT 250 that does that. I wait till it stops clicking before I "start" it. Same thing here?
Thanks a million!
Kenny

1980 KZ 1000 Classic EFI

More
26 May 2011 20:17 #453752 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Square one!
A picture of how it should look: www.redlinecycle.com/Mvc-002J.html

www.redlinecycle.com/Fuel%20Injection.html

More information:

1980 KZ 1000 G1 (Z1 Classic)
I took this from the www.kzrider website.

below is a description with autos and part numbers for this throttle switch. ONLY COST $80.

This little switch has *profound* affects on the usability of the bike. Only 1 side of the 2-pole switch was intermittently bad, and it basically made the bike UNUSABLE.

I found the switch today at O'Reilly Auto Parts store here in Silicon Valley -- they used the matching autos to look it up in the O'Reilly computer in the store (using 'Kawasaki' or the Kaw part number was *not* useful, it had to be a car with the year/model or a part number for the switch).

The local O'Reilly store today looked it up for the 1979 Datsun 280zx and they HAD ONE IN STOCK. Put it on the bike, I'm gone on a 45-minute ride around the Valley!
NARY A HICKUP. Bike is fiiiiiine.

So for anyone else with this one-year-only Kz1000 "Z1 Classic", here are a few ways to find this switch:

1) 1979 Datsun 280zx "Throttle Valve Switch"

2) 1980 Datsun 200sx, find it at
Remartautoparts.com, with Remart part # TH114

3) "BECK ARNLEY 158-0492 Fuel Injector Throttle Switch" (NOTE: the 158-0492 is a 'master' part number apparently that most Auto parts stores can use to find all the vendors of this switch)

4) 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo "Throttle Position Sensor",
the part is mfg. by 'Nile'

If I were you, I'd buy one to have on hand if your bike acts up like this rider's did.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 May 2011 20:41 #453757 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Square one!
Man, I scrapped one of them systems in 1990 at an IDBA race. The fuel rail and copmputer, man the computer was as big as a lap top today. All that, $20.00 bucks!!!!!!!!

Scrap it all!

Buy a new DYNA ign. and coils.

Buy a set of carbs from ebay.

That's what I would do. And did years ago.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
28 May 2011 10:42 #453985 by Wolfpaak
Replied by Wolfpaak on topic Square one!
Z1KZ, we already talked about that option (carbs) but we think that if it'll work with the EFI that it will be more original. But after looking at the cost of the parts if one or more are bad, carbs look alittle more enticing!
I am reading through my Clymers service manual but haven't got to the part about how to test each part yet. Are there instructions in the Kawi manuals?
Thanks for the help!
Kenny

1980 KZ 1000 Classic EFI