My gremlins are back!

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 May 2011 23:03 #454058 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic My gremlins are back!
Sweet!!

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2011 23:04 #454059 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic My gremlins are back!
Nice. Glad it's working.

Nothing but rain down here, though. :(

More
07 Jun 2011 22:11 #456010 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic My gremlins are back!
You won't F'ing believe it...
I've put about 250 miles on my bike since the coil issues. Still running that Honda coil. WELL, today was almost 100 and 500% humidity... well, on the way home as I pull away from a stop I notice one little miss. eh, oh well. Then I notice a couple more here and there. No full out fall on it's face, but a few little putt's here and there. I think I'm running low on gas. Anyway, I'm almost home. I get home, park it and come back an hour later to take it for a quick ride. Missing is getting worse, suddenly, bam, the SOB falls on it's face again. Of course, SAME EXACT symptoms as before.

I get home, pull off my original coil and the honda one, throw my 550's coils (same exact model as the 750's) on and it runs good again.

So, what are the odds that 1 coils shits just before the next one? With me, I'd say good, but maybe could be my bike be damaging them? Or maybe I'm just that unlucky?

Anyway, I was going to order some new coils finally, but I want to hold off a bit and run my 550 coils for a few days to make sure my bike isn't damaging them somehow. Is this possible?

More
07 Jun 2011 22:34 #456017 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic My gremlins are back!
The Kawasaki ignition coils(and possibly the Honda ones too) have 1/4" male electrical connectors the main harness/loom plugs into. It's possibilty the female electrical mating parts are slightly loose. To tighten them up, take a pair of needle nose pliers and with the part that goes to the coil,slightly squeeze it shut(not all the way, but enough for a tighter fit).

Check the crimps at these connectors too, as they are subjected to vibration & metal fatigue.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
07 Jun 2011 23:38 #456044 by apbling
Already tried that. Thanks though.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
08 Jun 2011 00:01 #456046 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic My gremlins are back!
Have you changed the spark plugs when you changed to the Honda coil? If a plug is taking more voltage to fire, wider gap, or fouling, it would stress the coil more.
Also have you looked at both the Honda and Kawasaki wire diagrams to see if one uses a resistor in the feed circuit?
When you get 2 new coils, say Dyna or Accel, you won't be needing any resistor in line with them.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
08 Jun 2011 00:28 #456052 by apbling
Haven't looked at the any wiring diagrams...

I'll check into that. You are talking a resistor inline with the power to the coils, not resistor caps on the plugs, right?

As for plugs, I left them the same seeing as both coils measured up identical.

More
08 Jun 2011 10:12 #456115 by apbling
checked my 750 diagram, no resistor inline.

If the coils (stock and any replacement) are both 2.2+ ohm, they shouldn't get damaged from any current/voltage coming from the ignitor, right? If the ignitor was putting out that kind of current it should also be either damaged or acting up, correct?

I'm guessing the heat (it was seriously 97 and 100% humidity) and the 44 mile, 60 mph drive just did the old girl in.

The dynas bolt right up or will some fabircating be involved?