My gremlins are back!

More
23 May 2011 16:52 #453054 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic My gremlins are back!
as long as they are 2.2 ohm or great I shouldn't smoke them or my ignition right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2011 21:49 #453126 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic My gremlins are back!
As long as they are greater than 2.2 ohms resistance, the ignition should be ok.

As long as they are less than 3.5 ohms resistance, they will probably work ok with the possible exception of high RPMs. You ideally want from 2.2 to 2.8 ohms.

More
25 May 2011 15:16 #453500 by apbling
just got the extra coil for troubleshooting purposes. It's a TEC coil off a honda 750 (not sure year) but it looks identical and has 2.6 ohms on the primary and 11.8 kOHMs on the secondary. Interesting thing, my "good" coil on my bike (no crack) measured above 3 ohms on the primary windings. I'll have to test it out again later today, but maybe the cracked one ain't the bad one...

More
25 May 2011 16:08 #453508 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic My gremlins are back!
I think the Japanese bike makers buy many electrical parts from the same sources, and it probably applies to carb parts too.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
25 May 2011 17:25 #453521 by apbling
yeah. They are the same brand and look the same (the honda compression fitting nuts are bigger) and measure out the same electrically, but have different model numbers...

More
26 May 2011 00:05 #453628 by apbling
OK, got the honda coil *shudder* installed on my 750. Fired right up. Let it warm up a bit, pulled outta the driveway. Scooted down to where my neighbors wouldn't throw rocks at me and laid into it. She fought me a little bit at higher rpms, but better. I'm thinking, now what the F can it be. So, I keep riding it for a little bit longer (maybe 3 min) and I notice it seems to be running well. So, I take it on a good ol' carbon on the valve cleaning on the back roads and she runs like a raped ape now. Must have been a little bit cold when I first gave it throttle. I'm not sure how I feel about having two different coils on there (even though both primary and secondary winding resistances match my other one and spec). But the dynas sure aren't cheap...

Think it'll be ok to leave this coil be until I got some cash saved for the dynas?
Please just don't tell anyone there's a honda part on my kaw. ;)

More
26 May 2011 01:25 #453646 by loudhvx
Someone once told me Showa was bought out by Honda, at some point. That means our forks are Honda parts also, technically speaking. The key is to remember that Honda didn't design the parts.

B)

More
26 May 2011 10:54 #453691 by apbling
Lou,
Whats your opinion on having two different coils going, as long as the resistances are the same? I won't hold you to your word, just want some insight as electrical is not my bag...

More
26 May 2011 11:44 #453693 by loudhvx

apbling wrote: Lou,
Whats your opinion on having two different coils going, as long as the resistances are the same? I won't hold you to your word, just want some insight as electrical is not my bag...

That shoould cause no problems.

However, the only thing that ever got me stranded was using old coils. Since they tend to fail for the first time during, or right after, a rain storm, it's never a good time.

I would start saving for some gray 2.2 Dyna coils.

Otto found out that the pickups for these ignitions are still available because the police bikes used them. I wonder if the spark coils are also still available. I doubt they'd be any cheaper, though.

More
26 May 2011 21:08 #453768 by apbling
Excellent. I will start saving. My Bday is around the corner...

Anyway, one thing I think I heard someone mention is that I can go with the 3.0 ohm coil because even though they are higher resistance they are higher voltage than the stockers, which will result in better spark anyway... well, wouldn't they all be 12v anyway?

More
27 May 2011 01:46 #453821 by loudhvx
Coils take time to charge. The electronic ignitions have a dwell structure that is better suited to the required charge time of the Dyna 2.2 ohm coils. At really high RPMs, above 7k or 8k, there is a chance the 3.0 ohm coils won't sufficiently charge enough to cut through cylinder pressure at larger throttle openings, or higher compression ratio engines.

I've experienced it on the GPZ550 with bumped up compression ratio (somehwere greater than 10:1). It was when the spark gap was much larger than stock spec., at wide open throttle, and as the RPMs went up near 7 or 8k.

I think the KZ 750 LTD has lower compression than 10:1, so 3 ohm may work fine, but if the price is the same, or close to the same, I'd get the 2.2 Dynas.

More
28 May 2011 22:52 #454055 by apbling
Don't want to jinx it, but took a 130+ mile ride today, no issues. :):):):)

Thanks guys!