• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
19 May 2011 08:52 #452065 by ed spangler
Coils / Output? was created by ed spangler
MFolks,Patton
Hoping you can help me with a troubleshooting outline for the aftermarket coils / ignition system on my 75Z1-B 900
still has points , purchsed new aftermarket coils last year from either Z1E or the Z supplier in CA. sorry can't remember which one, anyway, last year when we installed the new coils as I remember, we connected thru stock original ballast resistor, am trying to double check voltage to resistor out of resister and to point type stock ignition to ensure I have correct voltage / resistance etc.
Can ya help me out? If you have this step by step process using a DVM, in a windows format so I could download and print it?
Can send you via PM my personal e-mail if thats preferred?
Thanks
ED

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2011 17:02 #452147 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Coils / Output?
Very few (if any) modern coils and ignition systems are still designed to use an external ballast resistor. If you have a standard points/coil system (and modern coils) the 12V goes to the hot primary wire of the coil and the points line goes to the negative primary side of the coil. Use an Ohmmeter to make sure that when the points open, the neg coil wire is NOT grounded as that happens often if the points/condenser connection touches metal. Should be simple to troubleshoot.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.