Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

a very bad ground 04 May 2006 20:47 #45194

• hydrolazer
  • hydrolazer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
i pulled my clutch in and hit the starter.. everything indicated a near dead battery.i tried it again and then i saw smoke coming from my front left blinker wires.its hard not to panick. my neighbor just happened by and we found the problem and it wasnt where/what you would think.it was the main ground wire at the frame that worked its way loose and was causing heavy arcing. i guess the small little blinker wire was catching all the over load. refixed the ground bolt and fixed blinker wire and all is well again.the bike is raring to go again,, moral:grounds can do funny things!!!!
\'79 kaw 1000 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

a very bad ground 05 May 2006 07:58 #45255

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
hydrolazer wrote:

i pulled my clutch in and hit the starter.. everything indicated a near dead battery.i tried it again and then i saw smoke coming from my front left blinker wires.its hard not to panick. my neighbor just happened by and we found the problem and it wasnt where/what you would think.it was the main ground wire at the frame that worked its way loose and was causing heavy arcing. i guess the small little blinker wire was catching all the over load. refixed the ground bolt and fixed blinker wire and all is well again.the bike is raring to go again,, moral:grounds can do funny things!!!!

You got that right! Nice save, some people ditch a bike when goofy stuff hapens like that.

a very bad ground 05 May 2006 08:22 #45263

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
hydrolazer wrote:

...it was the main ground wire at the frame that worked its way loose and was causing heavy arcing...

That happened to my 400, too - without the arcing. It just broke. Ran one second, dead the next.... Old wires, man...
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

a very bad ground 06 May 2006 01:25 #45441

• typhoon
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I had a sort of similar problem with my bike when I got it. Someone had rewired the bike, and every earth from the handlebars and lights was running through the two small fri\ont indicator earth wires! It did the whole smoke from teh headlight area a few times and blew a couple of fuses before I found the badly melted wires and the bunch of cut off and taped up earth wires!
Moral: check for goofy modified wiring.

Regards, Andrew.
gpzrider.com/
For all your air/liquid cooled GPZ fun!

• Page: