confused

• jacksdad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1979 kz 750 OUCH, IT SPARKED
More
13 May 2011 01:17 #450619 by jacksdad
confused was created by jacksdad
I got a 79 kz750 tis site says it has an alternator?, its got a points system so why would it have an alternator, HELP, i wanna ride, cant get teh thing started, unless i am on a hill, unfornatuly the garage is down hill from the street

1979 kz750 twin cyl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2011 01:37 #450622 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic confused

jacksdad wrote: I got a 79 kz750 tis site says it has an alternator?, its got a points system so why would it have an alternator, HELP, i wanna ride, cant get teh thing started, unless i am on a hill, unfornatuly the garage is down hill from the street

Hello, jacksdad, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

Alternator, rectifier and regulator comprise the charging system, whose sole purpose in life is keeping the battery charged.
Until the battery runs down, the bike will perform just fine without any charging system components,.

The ignition system provides a properly timed spark inside the combustion chambers.
It draws from the battery, and doesn't care what keeps the battery charged.
Points are part of the ignition system.

Chassis electrical equipment such as lights also draws from the battery, and doesn't care what keeps the battery charged.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: jacksdad

• jacksdad
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 May 2011 09:51 #450666 by jacksdad
Replied by jacksdad on topic confused
so where is the alternator, under the points cover, or where?

1979 kz750 twin cyl.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
13 May 2011 10:03 #450669 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic confused
Probably under the cover on the opposite side of the alternator, can't speak for this bike specifically. Have a manual? They are priceless for questions like this.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
13 May 2011 10:03 #450670 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic confused
no on the other side of the crank from the points...include the year and model and do you have a manual...it is important to have good shop manual for these bikes and will answer most questions ...welcome

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• jacksdad
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 May 2011 10:18 #450679 by jacksdad
the framis is 1979, kz 750 b twin, but the numbers don't match on the engine, i was able to download a manual to cd, i just haven't taken the time to look for it in the manual. the guy i bought the bike from said he thought the motor was from a 79, but he wsn't sure, I figure it's no later than an 80 due to the points system. thanks alot for the help guys

1979 kz750 twin cyl.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
13 May 2011 10:37 #450688 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic confused
i am running late to go riding today...but if you list the bike yr and model in your signature...see the bottom of folks replies to see a signature...it will save time when you ask the questions you will need to get running...things to see are...forgive the short answer here

spark...
spark when the correct points are opening and closing...
gas...

plugs sparking....

compression

valves open and close right
wal mart sells great batteries for cheap and give you $ for the core

is your battery good...are you sure...it will need to be to tinker much

keep asking question and you will get answers....post pictures it gets more interest and relax...it will run

outta here

CRaig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• jacksdad
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 May 2011 11:09 #450693 by jacksdad
the thing thats frustarating me is that when i got the bike, it sorta ran, so i changed the plugs and it ran a little better (kick start only), i got a wild hair to clean the carbs because on the left carb after a ride, gas would come out of the overflow tube as it cooled down, after reinstalling everything the way i un-installed, the damn thing wont do anything, guess i disassemvble the carbs again to see if F__d up somewhere. thanks for all the advice

1979 kz750 twin cyl.

More
13 May 2011 11:39 #450698 by dblhdr
Replied by dblhdr on topic confused
Make sure you didn't overlook something really simple like a vacuum hose or maybe a crossed or blocked fuel line or filter before you take the carbs apart again... I'm just sayin'... it's happened to me more than once. I hate chasing my tail. Good luck ... and welcome. Once you get it running correctly all the agrivation gets lost in the wind.

1981 KZ1000 Police Special coverted for civilian use with passenger seat, custom luggage rack, and paint. Daily rider.
2006 Harley Davidson Road King FLHR1

• jacksdad
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 May 2011 12:15 #450703 by jacksdad
where would there be vac. hoses, i replaced the fuel lines with good black ones, the ones on there were the vinyl type that get hard over time, the fuel is gravity fed i guess since there doesn't seem to be any vacuum hoses to the carbs, i changed the pplugs this mornong and checked the spark, it looks good, i guess its not getting enough fuel, still wont start

1979 kz750 twin cyl.

More
13 May 2011 12:35 #450705 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic confused
Remember when starting KZ with the engine cold - No throttle / Full choke. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• jacksdad
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 May 2011 12:39 #450706 by jacksdad
thats the way it was when it started, now nothing, but i'll keep working on it, i am glad there are like minded people left in the world that just want to help and not get something out of things, thanks a millioin

1979 kz750 twin cyl.