82 Spectre NO SPARK Please help!!

More
12 May 2011 20:46 - 12 May 2011 20:47 #450546 by 82SPECTRE
82 Spectre NO SPARK Please help!! was created by 82SPECTRE
SO here is what happened...

Bike was running great up until today. Coils are good and it would start right up with no issues. But Today It was running while I was tuning the carbs a bit and I smelled burning rubber. I cut the power immediately and found that a power wire coming from the positive side of the battery that connects to the fuse box had been rubbing on the frame and grounded itself out. This caused the wire to melt and of course the bike shut off. As far as I could tell that wire was the only thing damaged.
Now after I replaced that wire I put everything back together paying special attention to where each wire goes and I am certain that everything is connected correctly. I put the battery back in and cut on the ignition and the lights, ect. came on like normal. I pushed the start button and the engine turned over but would NOT fire at all. I removed one spark plug, grounded it out while I turned over the engine and saw that there was NO spark. I did this for both coils and found that there is NO spark coming from either coil.
SO.. I checked the voltage coming into each coil on the positive side and Its reading about 12 volts which seems normal. The coils are getting voltage from what I can tell. Whats weird is that I also got a reading of about 12 volts on the NEGATIVE side of the coil. From my experience this seems to be incorrect. There should be no voltage reading on the ground side of the coils right??
So I guess my question is.. Where should I look next? Is it possible that something else was damaged when that wire shorted out on the frame? I checked all fuses and they were not blown. Also how do I go about checking the Igniter?

1982 KZ 750 N1 SPECTRE
Last edit: 12 May 2011 20:47 by 82SPECTRE.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2011 23:27 #450585 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 82 Spectre NO SPARK Please help!!
I'd check the fuses first before tearing into the wiring bundles. The fuses used is an "AGX", 1" long and can be found at boating supply stores and some auto parts stores. The more common "AGC" will not fit well.

You're probably going to need 10,20,& 30 amp fuses, depending on what circuits blew.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
12 May 2011 23:31 #450587 by MFolks
www.kawiworld.com/index.php?option=com_c...icle&id=77&Itemid=99 This is a factory shop manual with wiring diagrams.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
16 May 2011 00:02 #451333 by 82SPECTRE
Replied by 82SPECTRE on topic 82 Spectre NO SPARK Please help!!
OK I finally Figured it out.

One of the wire harness plugs was switched. I was under the impression that the plugs were designed so that they were different shapes and sizes to prevent being mixed up. But it looks like one of the small plugs coming from the pickup coils can be plugged into the wrong place.

So after I found the problem, I switched the pickup coil plug to the correct location. It should be going to the igniter. The bike started right up and was running normal again.

I feel dumb...but it was rather easy to overlook.

oh and I looked at the link above and it doesn't have any diagrams or manuals specifically for my model. Where can I find a shop manual and wiring diagrams that are specifically for the KZ750 N1 models?

1982 KZ 750 N1 SPECTRE

More
16 May 2011 00:44 #451346 by MFolks
Sorry, I thought you had an 1100. Take your curcsor to the top right of the home page here,and click on filebase, it has wiring diagrams of most Kawasaki bikes.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
16 May 2011 03:47 #451371 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 82 Spectre NO SPARK Please help!!

82SPECTRE wrote: ...Where can I find...wiring diagrams that are specifically for the KZ750 N1 models?

Here's a link to a wiring diagram included under FILEBASE.

Click > www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/285-z750n1

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
16 May 2011 03:52 #451372 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 82 Spectre NO SPARK Please help!!
This link is to a manual that may be somewhat helpful.

kz.mbsween.com/manual.html

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD