upgrading to modern charging system

More
08 May 2011 22:24 #449721 by fc3sbob
upgrading to modern charging system was created by fc3sbob
hi everyone, I have a fairly heavily modified 1974 Z1 900 and I am currently replacing the entire wiring harness with a custom harness and removing what is no longer needed.
I want to upgrade the regulator/rectifier with a modern one, I am wondering if this is possible? I did once swap a GSXR regulator with one off a CBR and it worked fine..
I assume since nothing origional is left on the bike I can just easily hook up the 3-Phase AC from the stator to the modern rectifier and hook up the negative and positive and I shouldn't have any issues, but I want to make sure the stator can handle it.

Thank you for your help, and nice forum I will stick around!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2011 22:45 #449725 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic upgrading to modern charging system
If you have the seperate rectifier and regulator, get the newer style(combo package) as your older style has been known for potential fires: www.redlinecycle.com/rectifiers.html
And they have new main wiring harnesses: www.redlinecycle.com/Wire%20Harness.html

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
08 May 2011 22:50 #449729 by MFolks
A good troubleshooting page is at www.electrosport.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
08 May 2011 22:55 - 08 May 2011 23:00 #449731 by fc3sbob
Replied by fc3sbob on topic upgrading to modern charging system

MFolks wrote: If you have the seperate rectifier and regulator, get the newer style(combo package) as your older style has been known for potential fires: www.redlinecycle.com/rectifiers.html
And they have new main wiring harnesses: www.redlinecycle.com/Wire%20Harness.html

yah, the newer style is what I'm looking to use, with the regulator/rectifier combo. Right now it has the seperate one.
I no longer have any stock plugs.. the wiring was a HUGE mess, for example one wire that was a foot long had 2 butt connectors and a solder joint, the entire harness was connected with butt connectors :sick:. the front suspension is off a gsxr so a lot of wiring was done by the previous owner so the controls work, and the ignition is a boyer bransden box and it was also sloppily installed and lots of wires were left over from stuff that doesn't exist anymore. So now the harness is all brand new and just has what it needs.

so anyways, is that modern reg/rectifier box just like any other? could I just grab one off a gsxr, or crb, or yamaha and wire it up? Three 3-phase wires and a 12v positive and negative.
Last edit: 08 May 2011 23:00 by fc3sbob.

More
08 May 2011 23:21 #449737 by MFolks
The regulator/rectifier plug on the 80’s bikes usually has six wires in it:

A. One (1)WHITE with RED stripe, this is the bikes main power wire usually 12 gauge in size.

B. One(1) smaller Brown wire, probably 18 gauge or so, the voltage sense wire for the regulator/rectifier, helps keeping it from overcharging the battery(some bikes may not have this brown sense wire as it has be incorporated internally.

C. One(1) BLACK with YELLOW stripe wire, part of the ground circuits, maybe 16 gauge in size.

D. Three(3) YELLOW wires, maybe 14 gauge in size, the alternator output wires going to the regulator/rectifier which converts the Alternating Current(A.C.) to Direct Current(D.C.) using rectification, producing the power to run the motorcycle and charge the battery.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
08 May 2011 23:29 #449740 by fc3sbob
Replied by fc3sbob on topic upgrading to modern charging system

MFolks wrote: The regulator/rectifier plug on the 80’s bikes usually has six wires in it:

A. One (1)WHITE with RED stripe, this is the bikes main power wire usually 12 gauge in size.

B. One(1) smaller Brown wire, probably 18 gauge or so, the voltage sense wire for the regulator/rectifier, helps keeping it from overcharging the battery(some bikes may not have this brown sense wire as it has be incorporated internally.

C. One(1) BLACK with YELLOW stripe wire, part of the ground circuits, maybe 16 gauge in size.

D. Three(3) YELLOW wires, maybe 14 gauge in size, the alternator output wires going to the regulator/rectifier which converts the Alternating Current(A.C.) to Direct Current(D.C.) using rectification, producing the power to run the motorcycle and charge the battery.

cool, I plan on using a 5 wire from a recent bike (within the last 10 years) so it will not have the voltage sense wire.

More
08 May 2011 23:43 #449745 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic upgrading to modern charging system
Here's another option for the rec/reg combo:
www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=261

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 May 2011 00:14 #449758 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic upgrading to modern charging system
You probably know this, but Honda uses different color codes for their wiring than most other jap bikes. Just make sure you know which is which. (Honda uses black for hot a lot of the time.)

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
09 May 2011 09:14 - 09 May 2011 09:14 #449818 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic upgrading to modern charging system

loudhvx wrote: You probably know this, but Honda uses different color codes for their wiring than most other jap bikes. Just make sure you know which is which. (Honda uses black for hot a lot of the time.)

I have a reg/rect off a ZX7R....it has 6 yellow wires! :laugh:

Had to download the service manual to sort that out.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread
Last edit: 09 May 2011 09:14 by tachrev.

More
09 May 2011 12:15 #449841 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic upgrading to modern charging system

tachrev wrote:

loudhvx wrote: You probably know this, but Honda uses different color codes for their wiring than most other jap bikes. Just make sure you know which is which. (Honda uses black for hot a lot of the time.)

I have a reg/rect off a ZX7R....it has 6 yellow wires! :laugh:

Had to download the service manual to sort that out.

Yikes. That's crazy.

More
09 May 2011 15:00 #449859 by ace
Replied by ace on topic upgrading to modern charging system
is there also fuse upgrade available??

78kz1000

More
09 May 2011 16:13 #449869 by MFolks
Upgrading fuses:

Fuse And Fuse Holder Designations

1. The older Kawasaki’s use a glass tubed fuse with the designation of AGX 1” long. Most good auto parts stores can get them for you,and boating supply stores. They are ¼” in diameter.

2. The more common AGC is 1 ¼” long and may not fit the smaller fuse clips. Again, ¼” in diameter.

3. To clean and polish the fuse clips, I use a cotton swab(Q- Tip) and some Brasso metal cleaner or Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. I suppose any good metal polish would work.

4. These fuses can fail internally but look good, only by removing them from the clip and electrically continuity checking with either a self powered test light, or a multimeter set on OHMS can they be determined to be in good shape.

5. A physical inspection of the metal end caps for tightness will tell you if the fuse is serviceable.

6. Most modern motorcycles are now using the automobile “Blade” style fuse with the designation of ATC or ATO.

7. The reduced sized “Mini” Blade style fuse holder uses the ATM size of fuses.

8. If the fuse and fuse holder overheat, it could soften or anneal the grip of the clip, it might require squeezing the clip to restore the tightness.

9. A list of where to purchase “Blade” style fuses and holders:

www.waytekwire.com order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/...20%20%20%208%20FUSE/

www.rallylights.com www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=765

www.delcity.net www.delcity.net/cartviewitem?item=73805&search=y

10. A source for the glass tubed AGX fuses:
www.boatownerswarehouse.com/browse.cfm/2,4986.html

1982 GPZ1100 B2