Points to Electronic Ignition

More
22 Apr 2011 01:28 #446236 by WildRover
Points to Electronic Ignition was created by WildRover
I've been reading the forum for a couple of years now. This is my first post. I've had the bike about 2 years. I've been working in auto parts for about 5 years and I'm a mechanical engineering student so I'm decent mechanically.

Recently I pulled the points cover off to check the points. They are shot. While the cover was off I forgot the ignition was on and touched one of the points, might have a new fingerprint now, but what I'm concerned about is that the electric start stopped working and I can't kick start it either. Could I have burned up the coils? The coils were accels I robbed from a 80 parts bike with electronic ignition. I used a resistor to keep the coils from burning out under normal use.

I'm also wondering if I can swap in the pickups instead of just replacing the points.

Sorry if this is all over the place. I appreciate any help or advice you guys can offer.

78 kz1000 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
22 Apr 2011 01:30 #446238 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Points to Electronic Ignition
yeah id upgrade the whole ignition from the other bike if you have it B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
22 Apr 2011 01:30 #446239 by carpenoctem
Replied by carpenoctem on topic Points to Electronic Ignition
if the points are shot replace em and start from there. is there a condenser that may have come unplugged?

More
22 Apr 2011 01:43 #446240 by WildRover
Replied by WildRover on topic Points to Electronic Ignition
Thanks for the help. I'll swap in the pickups and see where that gets me. Do I need to change anything else for that?

78 kz1000 ltd

More
22 Apr 2011 02:37 - 22 Apr 2011 02:40 #446246 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Points to Electronic Ignition
If you left the ignition on for more than a few (under 30) seconds, and the points were closed, and they are Accel 3.0 ohm (or less) coils, they're fried.

Member on here stated that 3.0 ohm coils would last less than 45 seconds with the key on and points closed, and I thought he was wrong. So I hooked a brand new $60 Accel 3.0 ohm coil directly to a battery.
20 seconds later the magic smoke escaped out the end of the coil. Bummer, the guy was right.

If you're going to install electronic ignition pickups, then you're going to need the igniter as well, the pickups can't trigger the coil(s) directly.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 22 Apr 2011 02:40 by steell.

More
22 Apr 2011 23:09 - 22 Apr 2011 23:11 #446401 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Points to Electronic Ignition

steell wrote: If you left the ignition on for more than a few (under 30) seconds, and the points were closed, and they are Accel 3.0 ohm (or less) coils, they're fried.

Member on here stated that 3.0 ohm coils would last less than 45 seconds with the key on and points closed, and I thought he was wrong. So I hooked a brand new $60 Accel 3.0 ohm coil directly to a battery.
20 seconds later the magic smoke escaped out the end of the coil. Bummer, the guy was right.

If you're going to install electronic ignition pickups, then you're going to need the igniter as well, the pickups can't trigger the coil(s) directly.

Hmmm. Needs an igniter, engineering student, and he works at an auto parts store. Seems I've heard of something he'd probably like to build.
>..... :) :) :) ..... <
Last edit: 22 Apr 2011 23:11 by loudhvx.

More
23 Apr 2011 21:46 #446586 by WildRover
Replied by WildRover on topic Points to Electronic Ignition
Thanks for the help. I got the igniter off of the 80. I'm planning to use that, assuming it's good. I'm at my parents' for Easter so the bike has to wait until I get back to Kansas.

78 kz1000 ltd