'87 305 LTD ignition / safety info needed

More
19 Apr 2011 13:01 #445551 by vatrader01
'87 305 LTD ignition / safety info needed was created by vatrader01
Hi. Looking for some help with the this bike. A friend stops by with this KZ 305 on the trailer. Ignition switch missing, wiring harness cut leading to the ignition switch. No plug in anymore. Just 5 wires. Last year tag and state inspection on it are from 2001. I pulled the plugs, poured some ATF / acetone mix into the cylinders and let it sit all weekend. Today, pulled the left engine cover and used a socket and ratchet to turn the engine over, which it did easily enough. No signs that it was stuck.

Included with this mystery bike was a three position ignition switch, probably the kind used on farm tractors. We don't have a manual, snooped on line a bit, and attempted to wire the ignition. I mated the battery cables on the bike to longer car cables, and attached these longer cables to a car battery that tests 12.6 volts. When we turn on the key to the "on" position, we get neutral light, tail light and headlight. When we first hit the starter button, the engine turned over a few revolutions, then quit. Pushing the starter button produces nothing. We can use a screw driver to arc the solenoid, and the engine will spin. We are getting no spark at the spark plugs. We are not sure if we have an ignition switch issue, or a safety switch issue. On some Kawasaki's, the clutch safety acts as a starter interrupt, and the sidestand switch acts as an ignition interrupt. Anyone have a how to on bypassing the safety switches on this LTD? Also need input on ignition switch. We have a white wire going to the battery post on the ignition switch, a brown wire on the ignition post, and a red/white wire on the accessory post. There is a yellow/black wire, and one more, I think is black. Those two are tristed together and capped.

Anything you folks can add would be appreciated. The bike was bought at an impound auction, and we have no history on the bike, or how it ended up at the impound. It has good compression, I know how to deal with Keihin CV carburetors. I need some help with the spark part. Anyone able to direct me in disabling the clutch and side stand safeties?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2011 13:37 - 19 Apr 2011 14:04 #445560 by sparkn
Replied by sparkn on topic '87 305 LTD ignition / safety info needed
inkandwood.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/k...-_service_manual.pdf

Electrical diagram is on page 180...or was it 179. Somewhere in there. This manual only covers 79-82 but I thought it might help get you started. If you see something familiar I suppose it didn't hurt.

BTW, when you get that thing running, if you like to ride it more than, say, 40 mph, I'd consider a larger front sprocket. Max RPMs will get it to about 65 mph. It can be a fun bike, but a highway hauler it ain't.

kawasaki.com has a manual for '87 305 CSR Belt for $10 but nothing on LTDs that size that I could find.

1979 KZ650 SR
Last edit: 19 Apr 2011 14:04 by sparkn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.