1980 650 LTD blows main fuse

More
18 Apr 2011 00:39 #445241 by Mellvis
1980 650 LTD blows main fuse was created by Mellvis
Got a 1980 650 LTD (early enough production that it shares all of the electrical with the 79 SR) that has a short that blows the main fuse. The tail light ONLY works with the ignition switch in the "ACCESSORY" position. The brake light works with the front and rear brakes engaged. With a volt meter I can read 0.09 volts on the frame when the key is in the "ON" position. I've traced it to the right side handle bar switch. If I unplug the gang plug from the main harness I read no voltage on the frame and still have no tail light. Is it safe to assume that it is in fact the right handle bar switch? How does this make the tail light NOT work with the key in the "ON" position?

I'm not very much on the electrical issues, so I was hoping someone could guide me. Thanks for any help you can give.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Apr 2011 01:08 #445251 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 1980 650 LTD blows main fuse
unplug everything you can and start reconnecting 1 at a time till you narrow it down

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
18 Apr 2011 01:30 #445257 by Mellvis
Replied by Mellvis on topic 1980 650 LTD blows main fuse
That is essentially what I have done, but rather unplug one item at a time, then check for voltage on the frame. If voltage was found, plug that item back in and try the next item.