Battery chargers

More
14 Apr 2011 17:49 #444617 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Battery chargers

mark1122 wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

RonKZ650 wrote: No doubt every charger is different. I have a 1.25A Battery Tender that is generally regarded as a great safe charger. I have like 8 motorcycles give or take I rarely ride and for years I would use this charger once a month for 24 hours on each battery all of which are stored indoors. The result was all 8 batteries would be bad whithin 2 or 3 yrs, so I was basically riding around 50 miles on each battery before it crapped. I came to the realization that either I was overcharging or the battery tender was just a waste of time and effort to use, so I got the pulse tech extreme battery charger and use it instead, but only once every 6 months or so and all the batteries were purchased 11 years ago and still fine, so my take is don't overcharge.

A properly designed charger can't overcharge. If it is doing what you describe, it's either not intended for continuous (float charge) or it's just a piece of junk. I have had my charger attached to my battery steady for about 15 years.

are u saying your battery has lasted for 15 years??

All of my batteries are 10yrs old and still working. When I charged them once a month they never lasted, so I made up my own method of not overdoing the charging that has worked better for me.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.